Not Self-Blue Ameraucana - but what are they?

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
Hey Everyone, I posted on Facebook BYC as well but posting this here too for folks to weigh in. Long story short, I bought true self-blue Ameraucana eggs from Eggwell Farms (packed really, really well inside of cut up fun noodles) and I had a really good hatch - out of 18, 8 total hatched (I had originally thought it was 9 that hatched but I'm old now and can't do basic math :D). Some were unfortunately scrambled by the postal service but could really tell the hatchery took care with packing the eggs.

I'm not a chicken geneticist by any means but after digging into several research articles and the AMPA information, I should have had 100% self-blue chicks if that is what these were supposed to be. I contacted the hatchery and one of the owners agreed that this should have happened and will be sending me more eggs of the correct variety (very fast, very nice, happy so far). He said that it is very uncommon to happen with their farm but it looked like a rooster might have met up with these hens that shouldn't have or I was sent the wrong color variety but they should still be true Ameraucana.

My question for all of you lovely people is...if these aren't true self-blues, what you all suspect they might be color wise?

The lightest one appears buff, 5 appear potential blue (maybe not self-blue,) 1 looks maybe a splash, and 1 is black (has a white chest/tuxedo).

The legs do look slate and the toes are pink but should darken to slate I think, and the feel bottoms like white.

Thoughts?

PS - I am not looking to professionally breed or show and will keep these guys.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    981.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image0 (4).jpeg
    image0 (4).jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1168AC9A-5D01-43D3-807E-72C6B1C100DF.jpeg
    1168AC9A-5D01-43D3-807E-72C6B1C100DF.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 16
The grey ones do appear lavender and are likely pure assuming that at most they're first generation mixes. The black chick would be a split to lavender assuming it has a lavender parent. I would assume it and the white one are crossbreeds unless they have multiple Ameraucana colors
They do - the seller has all varieties of Ameraucana on their page available (eggs and birds).

Back
Top Bottom