Not sure but think I have a rooster

Katz5617

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
I bought two pullets that were ten weeks old. They are now about 18 weeks give or take a day or two. One is smaller than the other but the smaller one has a comb and waddle that are much more prominent and red and while the other one is finding her voice to begin to cackle - the other one is making a rather strange screeching noise. The way it was making noise we thought it might be hurt but checked and it is just trying to find it's voice. I'm afraid it might be trying to crow. It's the smaller of the two but is definitely more - I won't say aggressive, but manages to get it's way. What features should I look for to try and determine if Sweetie is a boy? I'd take a picture, but these two have been as wild as can be since I have had them. We got them from an individual and if they hadn't been penned up she would have never caught them and they are so wild and fast not sure I could even snap a photo. I'm not allowed to have roosters in the city limits and pretty sure my neighbors would complain, but I definitely do not want to give it away until I know for certain. Not many people around here want roosters since they are not allowed -

This is the one in question - the other one that I got at the same time is making a decent clucking sound now - a little off from the big girls - but this one sounds like a long, drawn out strangling cry. I couldn't really see any of the saddle feathers - but around the neck area it looks sort of like the picture you sent. Getting anywhere near this one to take a picture was a chore. I would have thought by now they would have gotten a bit less wild since the others are so mild mannered and calm.

I want it to be female, but it's making such a weird screeching noise we were worried. They were right at 10 weeks old when we got them so I assumed that the lady that sold them to us knew the difference between male and female. I on the other hand have to take the word of whomever I am buying from. I've seen pictures - but they all look pretty much alike to me. The screeching she does is just about as irritating to the ears as nails on a chalkboard. I hope she grows out of it. The first time we heard it we thought something was killing one of them.

Back
Top Bottom