Not sure if I have a dead chick in an egg . . .

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I had an egg pip yesterday sometime, It was pipped when I got home from work. It has yet to do anything since then, its been between 18-24 hours since the pip. A small piece of shell is off so I can see the membrane is broke through so if its alive it should be able to breath. last night I was pretty sure I could see some movement thru the membrane, but now today the membrane looks too dark to see through so I cant tell. The other chicks in the incubator peck at it every now and then, so i was hoping that would speed it up on getting out. How long do I wait to get the egg out and try to open it incase it cant get out? There is only one unhatched egg left in with it and its not pipped yet. There were 2 I suspected were iffy at lockdown, I am thinking this is one. all others are hatched.

I'd wait another day on the piped and last egg. They get tired pipping and can rest for another 24+ hours but if it's not hatched or trying by noon tomorrow toss 'em. I'd go as far as immersing in water, make sure/mercy kill it then as it's not a vigorous chick.

Really nice hatch by the way. Great job.

Back
Top Bottom