Not sure if I want to mess with chickens anymore

No vet in our area deals with chickens or any kind of bird:(
Sorry to hear about your chicken troubles. We had our fill of the wet/dry fowl pox last year (2013), we lost maybe 15% of our flock. Knock on Wood, in 2014 we have lost less than 1% due to any kind of illness or accident. This kid of stuff comes and goes. On the bright side, the birds that survive fowl pox seem to have built up an immunity to it. We try not to bring in outside birds and when we do we quarantine them for at least a week. Good Luck!!!!!

Quote: Turing black is a good sign. When mine get sick I find is useful to weight them on a digital kitchen scale at the same time every morning. If they start losing weight, they get tube fed, period. Fluids first to rehydrate, then fluids and baby bird food.

Here are some pox pictures from my 2013 outbreak:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818895/lightbox/

If you want to learn how to tube I will teach you.

-Kathy

I saw your post about your chickens. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Like many animals it can be hard to care for them. When resources in areas are low (like no vet to care for chickens) it can be traumatic. I would do as much research as possible on the internet and here in the forums to see if he can be saved. Definitely segregate him so the rest of the flock does not get infected. I would recommend cleaning out the entire coop with a disinfectant and the run as well. Your setup is adorable by the way! If all of your chickens do pass then wait awhile and repopulate. My laying hens did great with no problems whatsoever. They are all 7 months old now. One got a respiratory infection and we isolated right away and treated the whole flock. We are just able to start using the eggs again. Wasting them all while the antibiotics wore off was horrible to me. At least I got to save the shells to grind and use for calcium. Our meat birds have given us so much trouble. They were big peckers. Because the cornish lose feathers the pink skin is exposed. Being that you have to ration feed and sorta guess when they need more to keep up with growth, we have had a few severe pecking issues. I will almost be glad when processing day comes next week. It was a huge task that we took on so I look forward to not having to pay for feed and making dinner. Not looking forward to making that happen though. Best of luck in your future endeavors
Thanks for the support and help, I isolated him earlier today, and does anyone know how long wet pox last

I know Roger does not look like a buff orpington in the pics but sometimes my camera messes up the colors on things:he

Turing black is a good sign. When mine get sick I find is useful to weight them on a digital kitchen scale at the same time every morning. If they start losing weight, they get tube fed, period. Fluids first to rehydrate, then fluids and baby bird food.

Here are some pox pictures from my 2013 outbreak:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818895/lightbox/

If you want to learn how to tube I will teach you.

-Kathy

I told you Kathy would be there to help you.
wink.png
She is definitely a voice worth listening to.
old.gif
(not implying in any way that you are old, Kathy!
big_smile.png
)

I hope that Roger is on the mend. Best wishes to you and all your flock
hugs.gif

The fowl pox epidemic is almost over, though I have lost 8 chickens to it out of my flock of 75, now only two have it and they are almost over it :D 34 of my babies caught it and it was a very stressfull 2 months, thanks for the support everyone :thumbsup

I'm glad that things are on the mend for you and your flock. How did you treat them in the end? I have never had to treat pox in my flock and I hope I never will, but it would be interesting for anyone else looking for information about it on here to know what you treated your birds with, and for how long, as it seems to have worked pretty well for you.

Back
Top Bottom