Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

We are very new to chickens, & adopted 3 that my youngests kindy incubated & hatched. Only 1 of those 3 is a pullet...& we cannot keep roosters
1f614.png
Do you mind telling me what gives it away as a roo for you? Im still learning.

I'm sorry. It's so tough once you become attached. We are starting a bachelor coop for our roosters. Maybe you can find a ranch or farm that may be willing to traDE a few pullets for your cockerels? Also check 4h. Lots of kids like to raise roosters for their showy feathers. :)

I'm sorry. It's so tough once you become attached. We are starting a bachelor coop for our roosters. Maybe you can find a ranch or farm that may be willing to traDE a few pullets for your cockerels? Also check 4h. Lots of kids like to raise roosters for their showy feathers. :)

It happens. Am looking into at least rehoming them, & we will buy a couple of pullets as replacements. Should we look at youngish chicks still though? We will still need them to get along with our remainder 5wk old Lohmons chick.

It happens. Am looking into at least rehoming them, & we will buy a couple of pullets as replacements. Should we look at youngish chicks still though? We will still need them to get along with our remainder 5wk old Lohmons chick.

I would find one near the same age. I could be wrong but that comb is pretty red for so young. It looks identical to mine and I'm 100 percent they are little roo's.. :(

I would find one near the same age. I could be wrong but that comb is pretty red for so young. It looks identical to mine and I'm 100 percent they are little roo's.. :(

Thanks
263a.png
I will wait another week or 2, as said above the lighting does have an affect on actual colour. The comb is a little brighter than the other 2 (& one of those has been indentified as a roo) however it is still actually a very pale orange/red, rather than the blood red im thinking a roo would have. It is still just a baby too though i guess, so we will wait it out.

Thanks
263a.png
I will wait another week or 2, as said above the lighting does have an affect on actual colour. The comb is a little brighter than the other 2 (& one of those has been indentified as a roo) however it is still actually a very pale orange/red, rather than the blood red im thinking a roo would have. It is still just a baby too though i guess, so we will wait it out.

Well good luck.. btw I'm not suggesting you don't wait just that I'm positive it's a roo. If I wasn't I would never answer with certainty. I say this from experience but you can also Google any comb turning red before 10 weeks is usually a roo. Especially with a single comb. I just hatched out about 50 chickens. I'd be in trouble if I couldn't sex them. :) good luck though for your sake I really do hope I'm wrong. :)

Well good luck.. btw I'm not suggesting you don't wait just that I'm positive it's a roo. If I wasn't I would never answer with certainty. I say this from experience but you can also Google any comb turning red before 10 weeks is usually a roo. Especially with a single comb. I just hatched out about 50 chickens. I'd be in trouble if I couldn't sex them. :) good luck though for your sake I really do hope I'm wrong. :)

Much appreciate your information. Thank you
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom