Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Yes, this Cochin is a boy too.  See the thin, pointed red feathers growing at the base of his tail?  Only males get that shape of saddle feathers.  A female's will look like the rest of the body feathers, short, wide and rounded.  They are probably closer to 4-5 months old.

Your bantam pullets are too young to lay eggs yet.  You will know they are getting closer when their combs and wattles grow a bit and turn bright red, usually when they are about 6 months old (sometimes more, sometimes less).   Cockerels' combs and wattles turn red much earlier, usually by 8-12 weeks, which is often how you can tell the boys from the girls. 

So both are males?! Even with the color difference and size. This is sad

I have a SLW I was assured she was a pullet on day 3 but I'm having some doubts she has a pinker comb than my RIR and my Americauna has curved feathers and some slightly green feathers I can't have roosters where I live so I need to know pretty soon thanks for the help

I have a SLW I was assured she was a pullet on day 3 but I'm having some doubts she has a pinker comb than my RIR and my Americauna has curved feathers and some slightly green feathers I can't have roosters where I live so I need to know pretty soon thanks for the help
welcome-byc.gif
How old is it now? The one SLW pullet that I had also turned reddish early, compared to the others. Can you get a full body side view? Yours could be a pullet still, but age and a side view will help. Not sure how the person was sexing at 3 days old. Even vent sexing at the hatcheries is only 90% accurate at best.

Out of my 34 head flock this one I have no idea.
she or he is 8 weeks came from a hatchery.

Last edited:
:welcome              How old is it now?  The one SLW pullet that I had also turned reddish early, compared to the others. Can you get a full body side view?   Yours could be a pullet still, but age and a side view will help.   Not sure how the person was sexing at 3 days old.  Even vent sexing at the hatcheries is only 90% accurate at best.
She or he is now 5 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom