Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

The saddle feat
And that's because of the tail feathers?

The saddle feathers are actually above the tail in the lower back area. When those are skinny, shiny, and very pointed rather than looking like the rest of the feathers, it's a 100% certain male. Females never have feathers like those. The neck feathers look like this as well.

ETA: excellent job on the highlighting ^. This is something that confused me at first, too, but once I learned what to look for, it became a lot easier to see.

Last edited:
Thank you! I kind of figure when they get pretty they are most likely a rooster.

Haha, that's true a lot of the time!
smile.png

I've got 2 lavender orpingtons and a black copper marans that I think are roos. Can anyone confirm?

Lavender 1

Lavender 2

BCM

Also, would the differences between an BCM and a black Australorp be apparent at 6 weeks? Two of my black chicks have feathered legs and copper coming in on their necks, and a third one is clean legged and no copper.

I've got 2 lavender orpingtons and a black copper marans that I think are roos. Can anyone confirm?

Lavender 1

Lavender 2

BCM

Also, would the differences between an BCM and a black Australorp be apparent at 6 weeks? Two of my black chicks have feathered legs and copper coming in on their necks, and a third one is clean legged and no copper.
The second Lavender is definitely male. The other two are still a bit young to be certain. And the clean-legged bird is probably an Australorp.

What are your guesses? This is my first batch of chickens of my own. The feed store sold them as RIR pullets. I'm estimating they are ~5 weeks old now. I'm paranoid that they will all turn out to be roosters after reading about other experiences with feed store chicks.

Hello! I have four americuana pullets (I think...) but one of them started CROWING this morning.. =(
Just want to confirm this is a pullet and if there are any good threads about pullers crowing I'd love some direction. =) thanks.
(it's dark and they're sleeping now, sorry if this picture isn't good enough)

Back
Top Bottom