Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

@HeavensHens88
What are the dead giveaways? Aside from a crowing fully grown bird of course. The comb color and size seems so variable between breeds. Feather shape too. Thanks again!

@HeavensHens88

What are the dead giveaways?  Aside from a crowing fully grown bird of course.  The comb color and size seems so variable between breeds.  Feather shape too.  Thanks again!

Once they hit around 9-10 weeks, universally, in any breed, a reddening comb will be apparent. The legs of a cockerel will start thickening by then, as well, giving them a more blocky appearance by 12 weeks when compared to pullets. Once you get that far, aggression may be visible and the most exuberant chicks may prove to be cockerels. Of course, once they hit around 15 weeks, sickly crowing may commence and make it obvious. ;)
Hope this helps!
~Sarah

Updated pics at 8-9 weeks. What do you all think? Still pullets? Thanks!
7eec0aeda2ad9309c116570132d34580.jpg
51e6487918b8f25a9e2fe046b2d60ba8.jpg

a306916ffd0757cef16a307d010a654d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For 8-9 wk olds, they all look like pullets.

I'd appreciate any guestimates on these guys. Supposedly all pullets
1 SLW

2 EE

3 EE

4 EE

5 Dominique

6 EE

7 Dominique

Thanks!

Any new ideas? It is 9 weeks. No crowing. Last time I posted you guys said it could go either way. It looks like a male but doesn't act like one. It is a speckled Sussex :) you guys also said that SS get big red combs early on. It certainly looks like a roo!

Any new ideas? It is 9 weeks. No crowing. Last time I posted you guys said it could go either way. It looks like a male but doesn't act like one. It is a speckled Sussex :) you guys also said that SS get big red combs early on. It certainly looks like a roo!

Almost undoubtedly cockerel, but boy is he handsome! :thumbsup
~Sarah

Back
Top Bottom