Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I purchased this EE as a chick and was told it had been sexed and was a pullet. I'm pretty sure it is a she, but I wanted a second opinion. Out of the two I bought she has more of a comb and its started turning red before the others. She's almost 10 weeks. No sign of Spurs.

Cockerel. Spurs don't begin to develop until after 6 months of age. That patchy red on the shoulder/wing is something specific to males.

I purchased this EE as a chick and was told it had been sexed and was a pullet. I'm pretty sure it is a she, but I wanted a second opinion. Out of the two I bought she has more of a comb and its started turning red before the others. She's almost 10 weeks. No sign of Spurs.

Definite cockerel

I have Buff Orpingtons. Does a reddish (more like a dark pink) face necessarily mean they're male, or can females have them too? I'm still having a little trouble determining the gender of my 2 1/2 month olds. I asked the hatchery where they came from and the guy seemed to think it's just a male trait.

I have Buff Orpingtons. Does a reddish (more like a dark pink) face necessarily mean they're male, or can females have them too? I'm still having a little trouble determining the gender of my 2 1/2 month olds. I asked the hatchery where they came from and the guy seemed to think it's just a male trait.
Are you referring to comb and wattles? Could you post a picture of it?

This is the best one I could get.

That's not good. That could mean that nearly half of my flock of 10 that were supposed to be all pullets might be cockerels. Charlie Brown moment of raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom