Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Please could u let me know if u have any idea on the sex of my 10 week old aracarna and Orpington
You have neither Araucana (by European or American standard) nor an Orpington. The Lavender bird looks like it might be a U.K./Australian Araucana mix (no crest and has yellow skin), definitely a pullet. The other looks like a Blue Jersey Giant, and with how patchy the coloring is, I'm betting it's a cockerel.

Both seem to be pullets, yet I think your suspicions are true. The protectiveness of Chip is interesting, it is trait a rooster usually has, but I had a hen that was fiery, protective, and aggressive at the same time. But now that I see the pictures again, I can see prominent tail feathers in the suspected rooster, and I think it's a cockerel(yet i would've thought 'his' comb would be a little bigger and brighter).

I agree but it is just strange due to the feminine nature of Chips shoulders and up but the masculine nature of the shoulders and down. They stick together like two peas in a pod.

I have a buff Orpington/brahma cross that I thought was a hen. He/she is about 10 weeks old and I need helping sexing. I'm starting to think Minnie is a Mickey. Any help would be great thanks!

When we bought them thy were advertised as Orpington/barred rock/ dark brahma crosses lol. Guess none of the above. Thanks for your help! Guess this guy will be dinner

Last edited:
Well, I had a bad situation on Friday, when I moved my babies, silkie, spots(not sure of breed), red (not sure of breed) blackey (ausi-lopp). to their new coop. Didn't finish the run so temporarily closed off coop. Well my dog decided to break in, after all these weeks being around them. I caught him in the act of chasing them and the brown one and silkie died in front of me from shock, within minutes. The black ausi, I couldn't find, Searched everywhere with Spots helping me and calling for his friends. Heart breaking, I raised them all from two days old. They were very attached to each other as well, including silkie. I worried about having just one left that would need companions. I searched craigslist and found a farmer that wanted to down side. I got another ausi-lopp, and was sold another she called a American. Around five to six weeks old. I couldn't find anything on American breed, so not sure what this one is. My problem now, I think the ausi is a male and now looking at my spots chicken, I am concern this is also a male. My daughter found a neighbor selling silkies so she brought me two of these, a blue and white. Not concerned yet on their sex yet as they are only three weeks old. I am sending a picture of my original group together.

My babies ( I miss them)
Spots and new Ausi (males or females?)

Spots in background, Black one is a ausi and told the brown one is an American(I am not sure of this breed?)

Well, I had a bad situation on Friday, when I moved my babies, silkie, spots(not sure of breed), red (not sure of breed) blackey (ausi-lopp). to their new coop. Didn't finish the run so temporarily closed off coop. Well my dog decided to break in, after all these weeks being around them. I caught him in the act of chasing them and the brown one and silkie died in front of me from shock, within minutes. The black ausi, I couldn't find, Searched everywhere with Spots helping me and calling for his friends. Heart breaking, I raised them all from two days old. They were very attached to each other as well, including silkie. I worried about having just one left that would need companions. I searched craigslist and found a farmer that wanted to down side. I got another ausi-lopp, and was sold another she called a American. Around five to six weeks old. I couldn't find anything on American breed, so not sure what this one is. My problem now, I think the ausi is a male and now looking at my spots chicken, I am concern this is also a male. My daughter found a neighbor selling silkies so she brought me two of these, a blue and white. Not concerned yet on their sex yet as they are only three weeks old. I am sending a picture of my original group together.

My babies ( I miss them)
Spots and new Ausi (males or females?)

Spots in background, Black one is a ausi and told the brown one is an American(I am not sure of this breed?)
The black one is a Black Australorp. The one in the background looks like a white leghorn( hard to tell), and the brown one is an Ameraucana(not American! Don't worry, people mess it up all the time :) ). The BA looks like a possible roo, the WL I can't really tell, appears to be a pullet, and the Ameraucana I cannot tell, it's head is blurred in the picture. I'm sorry about your chickens and I hope you have fun with the new ones
smile.png

Sorry about your chicks. It's very sad. The Ameraucana (EE actually, since it is a non standard color) is probably a male with all the dark red coloring across the wings. A good close up pic of the comb would help. If the black Australorp is really only 6 wks old, then it is a male. Your Spots is not a Leghorn, but looks like an Austra White which is a cross between an Australorp and a Leghorn and explains why Spots has dark legs. Need to know how old Spots is before sexing.

Sorry for your loss. It can be so difficult to teach a dog not chase, especially if it is a breed with a natural prey drive. :(

I agree that the brown one is an Easter Egger - I've heard conflicting beliefs about them. Some strongly believe that Easter Eggers are non-standard Ameraucana that simply don't have a color that is accepted for the breed.... some strongly believe that Easter Eggers are mixed breeds that happen to carry the blue egg gene. I think it is a little of both because the Ameraucana is a relatively new breed, and good healthy pure breeds always start with a variety of other breeds mixed together. :)

Back
Top Bottom