Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

@AustralorpsAU

I'm curious what you see that makes you say so? I see nothing masculine at all although it's much too soon to presume pullets.
The blue one's comb has just started to turn pinkish... the people on the Australorps thread said they think so too but i was just wanted some second opinions.

The blue one's comb has just started to turn pinkish... the people on the Australorps thread said they think so too but i was just wanted some second opinions.

You have the advantage of seeing them in real time. I have taken pics where a comb looks pink because the chick just ran around and is flushed. That's why I don't regard light shades of pink as being significant. Red is another matter.

This chick is 4 weeks and was running and playing just prior to climbing up onto my leg for a rest. See how pink the comb looks? She's a sexlink so I KNOW it's a pullet but if she were an Australorp, this photo would get cockerel votes for comb color.

You have the advantage of seeing them in real time. I have taken pics where a comb looks pink because the chick just ran around and is flushed. That's why I don't regard light shades of pink as being significant. Red is another matter.

This chick is 4 weeks and was running and playing just prior to climbing up onto my leg for a rest. See how pink the comb looks? She's a sexlink so I KNOW it's a pullet but if she were an Australorp, this photo would get cockerel votes for comb color.

Well actually they are at my cousins house and she is the one sending me pics... but just from feathering multiple people on Australorp thread said that they are 99% sure that blue is cockerel and black is pullet

My dog killed Pat and another hen. I had no idea they would be so vicious. They are a border collie / lab mix. Do I now think that my dogs are bad dogs? We have sense secure the area better, but I feel horrible about it. It was totally our fault. I let the chickens free range and unfortunately my husband let the dogs out and did not know. This is so on my conscience. I really lost it.

I'm sorry for your loss. My very friendly red sexlink was taken last year by the neighbor's husky. And a few weeks ago one of the beagles we adopted took my EE pullet when he got out of the kennel. Our hens free range and every day when I get home from work I worry until I see them running through the yard. I know it would be safest to keep them in the coop, but they get so upset if they can't explore, it's the risk we take for free ranged birds. With my indoor dogs (both of which are high prey drive herding breeds) I decided to utilize and e-collar to teach chicken deterrent. I don't advocate the use of a shock collar to fix all behavioral problems with dogs, but in cases like this where there is absolutely no flexibility with the rules, I'd much rather my guys be afraid to go near the hens than to look at them like a squeak toy. It only took a few times for them to get the idea that chickens aren't toys.

Back
Top Bottom