Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Hi, can anyone take a guess at my two? I was told they were both pullets when I got them. The first one is about 9-10 weeks old and I was told Americauna. The second is about 6-7 weeks and was told Orpington. Thanks!
The Easter Egger looks male from a distance. (There are some rooster red feathers, but that's not 100% because it could have some auburn genes in its family.) If you take a close up pic of the comb, you may see 3-rows of a pea comb = which would confirm male. Otherwise look for the start of pointed hackle/saddle feathers in a few weeks.

The Orp also looks like a male at a quick glance, but I am learning that not all lines mature at the same rate. (So I'd keep him a little while to be sure) My line of orps grow combs during their 3rd week - even before they're fully feathered, which is about at 4 wks. So by 7 wks, my male orps have giant combs & are fully feathered. My friend's line of orps have much shorter combs that take months to grow in size- but the wattles of both genders drop early. In his line, the males feather slowly. At 6 wks, his little cockerels still have have bald backs & short combs, while his pullets are fully feathered.

4 1/2 weeks old, father is a RIR mother possibly EE
Doesnt like to be held. butt feathers not as fluffy as siblings and tail feathers are longer and pointier than siblings.

Hello. We have 4 chicks that are about 5 weeks old. We were told they were all pullets and from what I'm reading on this site I feel like that is true. But I just wanted to double check. Thanks for any information you can give. 2 are Barred Rock, 1 is Ameraucana, and the last is a Rhode Island Red. Let me know if you need a better photo. They kept moving around on me...surprise there!

Hello. We have 4 chicks that are about 5 weeks old. We were told they were all pullets and from what I'm reading on this site I feel like that is true. But I just wanted to double check. Thanks for any information you can give. 2 are Barred Rock, 1 is Ameraucana, and the last is a Rhode Island Red. Let me know if you need a better photo. They kept moving around on me...surprise there!
They all look like pullets to me. Things could change, but for now, there are no signs of male development.

4 1/2 weeks old, father is a RIR mother possibly EE
Doesnt like to be held. butt feathers not as fluffy as siblings and tail feathers are longer and pointier than siblings.
That's a tricky one!!! (There's a touch of pink, but it could have been a hot day or upset about being held. It's comb is not tall nor pink enough to call it a male. He/she could go either way.) Hate to say that you may have to wait a little longer to know for sure.

4 1/2 weeks old, father is a RIR mother possibly EE Doesnt like to be held. butt feathers not as fluffy as siblings and tail feathers are longer and pointier than siblings.
That's a tricky one!!! (There's a touch of pink, but it could have been a hot day or upset about being held. It's comb is not tall nor pink enough to call it a male. He/she could go either way.) Hate to say that you may have to wait a little longer to know for sure.
Thanks for your input, i have a hunch its a cockeral but im glad to hear it could go eitherway!

Back
Top Bottom