Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

View attachment 549635 View attachment 549637

8ish week old barred rock. Slightly larger comb than my other BR and definitely more curious natured. This one is NOT fighting with the red boy behind her, who is a larger EE cockerel. I don't know if they're too young for sparring yet, though.

What do y'all think? I keep talking myself out of cockerel because of the body shape.
This looks like a nice dark pullet to me. A male would look lighter (have thicker white bars). The comb looks pinkish but not really red.

13059327_247446278942328_1016550120_n.jpg WIN_20160605_16_49_26_Pro.jpg pullet & cockerel Yours is definitely a pullet:D

@Wishing4Wings Thanks much! I compared a lot of pictures, but I think because I don't have a BR roo physically in front of me, I'm having trouble with the white/black difference! Thank you.
This pic was posted earlier in the thread (can't remember who) and it shows a light male compared to a darker female.

Well, my pic won't post, but biophiliac's post shows it very well. :)

So I agree w Wishing4wings....just happened to have a visual aid! Another thing on your bird that indicates female is the dark stripe down her leg. That is absent in the males, see how light the cockerel's legs are. That and a couple of other characteristics taken together means you have a good shot at sexing BR chicks at hatch.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of more recent pics. 5 weeks EE

Attachments

• IMG_4570.JPG
    IMG_4570.JPG
    537 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 8
Here's photos of my gender mysteries. I'm not sure of the breeds, but
I ordered from Murray McMurray. My order included cuckoo maran, black star, whiting true blue and "rare exotic" ancona and red star)

hatched april17, so 4 weeks old

chick 1
IMG_1541.jpg

chick 2
IMG_1556.jpg

chick 3
IMG_1532 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom