Not sure what was wrong with my Hen

Mama Rachel

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
My buff Orpington, approx 10 months old started to act a bit strange. I found her hiding and not with her flock and chicks per usual. We just lost a chick but unsure what happened to it. Probably a predator. My hens freely roam the acreage. I knew something was wrong then when she allowed me to pick her up. From there we separated her from the flock. She had diarrhea, mostly just pee. Her crop wasn’t emptying completely but wasn’t impacted from what I could tell. She was open mouth breathing non stop for several days and had a whistle sound to her sometimes. She would only want to drink water and was wasting away for a full week. We decided to put her down bc we felt it was the humane thing to do after trying everything. Deworming, giving oil and massaging crop, giving acv with electrolytes, etc. I ended up opening her up to see she had some stuff in her crop but nothing that I think would cause an impaction. Her gizzard also had stuff in it that looked like her green liquid poo she would spray out her butt sometimes.
I’m at a loss. Any ideas why her digestive system stopped working ? Maybe it was a disease ? Need direction in case this spreads throughout my flock.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom