Not sure whats wrong..plz help.

lisaburris1968

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2015
Hi all. Still new here, so I'll try to give you the short version of my trials so far. Babies are almost 4 weeks old. I have to live stock water tanks. 14 in one, and 13 in the other. Temp has been kept correct throughout and now maintaining a 70-75 at all times. Started them on non medicated food. 3 days old, pasty butt on four of them. Maybe 5. Bedding is wood shavings. Pens, waterers, and feeders cleaned twice daily. Pasty butt under control in about a week and a half, during which time I switched to a med feed.Then started noticing runny poops. No blood, just not firm like most others. After about the start of week two, maybe sooner, I notice one of them has scissor beak. But eats and drinks like a true champ. Until this last week, in which I notice some of the birds seem to be breathing a bit harder while roosting, than the others. I am now going to start a third pen, in worry that overcrowding is seeming to be apparent. They have started challenging each other (some, not all), and I figure this is somewhat natural.....or is it? They ALL likes plucking the baby fuzz off each other, but not to the point of injury..(although some liked voicing their opinion with vigor). So now I was told ny the hatchery to med their water with sulfur for 7 days. Its been 24 hours and still seeing some of the runny poops. And the labored breathing in some. And quite a bit of what I may think is non-happy chirping from that second pen mostly but not exclusive. Got a combination of sounds going on, but Im not fluent in chicken yet to fully decipher whats being conveyed at all times. The outside pen is almost complete, and looking awesome....but I wont put them out until I know everyone is up to par. If anyone has seen my prior posts, you can see I have SilverLace, Welsummers, Black Giants, Buff Bantams, and New Hamps. Just trying to give you any and all info, so I can get best suggestions.Im already nervous as heck to introduce them to the outside world, and dont thinknows the time for sure. I had planned to introduce them in a grassy area starting at an hour, then after a few days of that, increasing their contained outside frolicking.I SO want them to be in the sun, fresh air, and 70's temps. BUT WHATS WRONG WITH THEM? Im sad for them. I dont wanna over med, over clean, over stress them. Whats my best course of action next. If you have any additional q's....PLZ feel free to ask. Ive already wrote have a novel here, and this is the short version ....Well, I tried anyway. LOL. I dont know what to do. Look forward to hearing from those who understand and can help. Thanks so much in advance. Lisa

If they can have a spot to stay warm, they'll be fine outside. I just keep a heat lamp on if I need it.
I don't know why they are breathing harder. Are you sure? Anyone acting sick?

The fresh air outside can do them good. I generally move mine out at 3 weeks into a hutch with a heat lamp at one end. If your chicks act mopey and sick, treat them for cocci. If they have runny poop from medicated feed, stop feeding it. It's a preventative, not a guarantee.

If they look like they have problems breathing, you may want to try Tylan in their water. Tylan's an antibiotic. There's also Aspergillosis that can affect their breathing, and there's nothing you can do about it. Just make sure the shavings are clean and dry.

They are 4 weeks old already. Are you sure something is wrong? Is anyone panting?

Some of them are breathing heavier than the reat. My scissor beak is not doing well, and from what ive read, it isnt uncommon. Is it a possibility that some just breath harder naturally? They are all on the med feed and the sulfa ( sulfa liquid form in water. ) While on the sulfata, i couldnt also add the probiotic, could I? Or could I? My Teenie bantams in pen 2 (with edward scissor beak), are breathing heavier than the rest But also 2( a black Giant..((jersey))... and a New Hamp have heavier breather than the rest.Should be in bed, but checking on them evrytime I hear a loud chirp. Dont know what to do. Pain and suffering for them is not something I take lightly, but certainly dont wanna "panic over think and treat" .

I think I'd be more worried about chicks that are panting, gurgling, or breathing too fast.
If they eat and drink and run around like chicks-fine. But if someone breathes too fast and acts sick, that's a problem.
Sulfa is an antibiotic and an anticoccidial (sulfadimethoxine). If you give probiotics the sulfa will just kill it off. Best to give afterward.

Pick them up one at a time and see if they have good weight. If they really do have a respiratory ailment give Tylan. Generally, if one is sick, they will stand alone all huddled up and look sick.

What about those galvanized stock tank waterers? Do they pick at the coating? I also wonder if heat and galvanized things throw off something hazardous to breathe? You may want to move them outside with a heat lamp if needed to get them into fresh air.

No. No one is panting. Sice i already started the sulfa, I'll probably feed that for the 7 days the hatchery suggested. Very interested in giving them some probiotic when thats through. I dont think you can do that during sulfa treatment. Might be a waste. Counter productive. I think...right? As I said, the heavier breathing and runny poo has made me nervous...as I am new at raising chicks. No matter how much you read and prepare.....hands on and further education will do me good. I just dont want to make a fatal mistake. Overworrying can also cause sick babies, so trying to use my head. I appriciate any and all advice, comments, anything you all can pass on. Im glad I found this sight. Glad to be a part of this. Thanks, Lisa

Thankyou! That's my Lola.

I would wait and give probiotics after ward. I think the antibiotic would just kill off those bacteria being reintroduced.

As long as no one is panting, breathing too fast, gurgling, snotty, or squeaking with each breath, it would not appear to me that anyone is sick. I know a change in food can give some diarrhea. I hope it's clearing up!

Good morning all. I had been posting in three different categories as I was desperate. But Im trying to do an update. I hope all areas can read. By popular advise to move the birds out didnt happen. My pen floor was still damp. It is much drier this morning and ready for the shavings. Now they are talking 30 degrees friday. I have two heat lamps and will make every effort to keep enclosure at at least 55-60, but right under the lamp, Id say huddled up they'll be ok. I do worry about little scissor beak. Been assisting feeding her/him. Yesterday I fed tiny amounts of grapes but this is one thing the bird could achieve. Manages to eat and drink, but I hand helped with the grape treat. This baby, is obviously smaller than the others, but has such a heart of gold, I have been to weak to cull, as some people would have. And I didn't notice it in my 27 babies until about the second week. How I could have missed it until then, I dont know. Does anyone in Missouri know of ant rescues or Sanctuaries? So this morning I am going to the new enclosure to rake, rake some more and re-rake the pen floor, put down the wood chips, put lights, water and feed in place and start moving babies.This is last day I'm doing the sulfa water and will wait one day, and do 2 days of the probiotic in the water. Doing half med feed still but switching over to regular ultimately.Everyone have a great day, and pictures to follow. Thank you all once again. Lisa

I'll always worry about my chicks. Its what I do. LOL. They are all doing great except my scissor beak. Up in arms about what to do. There was a delay due to weather, and my new coop floor not completely dry, is why I havent moved them outside. Now its snowing again, and but tomorrow 66. Its crazy weather in Mo. Lol. But looking forward to putting them in their new condo. And no worries, there will be pics of the release in new pen. So excited. Not sure where scissor beak and I are taking things. Will keep you all posted. Have a great weekend. Lisa

Back
Top Bottom