Not Turning Shipped Eggs For the First Three Days....Why?

I have read, in the past, posts from folks who said they did not turn eggs that had been shipped for the first three days after setting them. I am wondering if anyone can tell me the reasons why.

I just set shipped silkie eggs and am planning to not turn them for the first three days and would really like to understand the concept!

PnP
That's only for eggs that have a detached air cell, which is very common in shipped eggs. If the air cell is intact, then you jsut treat 'em like any other egg. :)

To be honest, not really! The bad air sacs where still bad even after sitting for the 48 hours! It didn't have a negative impact though!

Yes! It's so confusing as to rather turn or not to turn those first 7 days! Mixed advice is driving me crazy..... Turn or not to turn.

There is a woman vet at Cornell that has hatched many rare species for Cornell from half the way around the world. She does suggest that if you receive shipped eggs, tomput tjem in "ICU" for 7 days without turning in incubator, candle, mark and dont touch again untill day 14. She says it helps embryo settle down and come baxk togwther, usually more about detached air sacs. She does this with all of hers and said there will be a nice strong air sac ready by day 12.

There is a woman vet at Cornell that has hatched many rare species for Cornell from half the way around the world. She does suggest that if you receive shipped eggs, tomput tjem in "ICU" for 7 days without turning in incubator, candle, mark and dont touch again untill day 14. She says it helps embryo settle down and come baxk togwther, usually more about detached air sacs. She does this with all of hers and said there will be a nice strong air sac ready by day 12.

So -- is is she turning AFTER day 7? I have had my shipped eggs in the incubator -- turner off. It's day 8 right now and I've been tempted to turn it on because I'm so nervous of chicks sticking to the shell. BUT -- I keep reading conflicting advice; another woman on a FB chicken group told me not to turn them at all the entire 21 days! I don't know what to do; I've had great success with local eggs but this is my first time with shipped eggs. Out of 14, 11 developed and look amazing right now but I don't know what is best in the next stage (till lockdown) for turning or not.

Ps. I also use the dry hatch method at 25%. I also start HAND turning at day 7, and stop turning at day 16. 90-95% rate. I only candle at day 7 for viabilty and internal pipping at day 18. I hatch just like in article for lockdown. Exactly. Usually all my shipped eggs have detached air cells and by following her "no turn" for 7 days, usually all reattach. The ones that dont will hatch or not. Just depends. Get a decent incubator that can be left alone. The key here is just dont look at them! Lol just keep them as still as possible, 90 degree fat bottom up and relax

Pray for me... I have 6 Lavendar Wyandotte eggs that look like they may have been a double ovulation egg. I wish people would work on quality not quantity. Anyone who can't wait for an egg certainly will have a hard time waiting for a hatch. They probably standing like a catcher behind each one of mine. Some sandpaper shells for sure.

Ps. I also use the dry hatch method at 25%. I also start HAND turning at day 7, and stop turning at day 16. 90-95% rate. I only candle at day 7 for viabilty and internal pipping at day 18. I hatch just like in article for lockdown. Exactly. Usually all my shipped eggs have detached air cells and by following her "no turn" for 7 days, usually all reattach. The ones that dont will hatch or not. Just depends. Get a decent incubator that can be left alone. The key here is just dont look at them! Lol just keep them as still as possible, 90 degree fat bottom up and relax

Lol -- I read the article and just turned my turner on and now after your post I'm debating! I have candled by just holding my candler to the tops -- haven't wanted to risk picking them up.

So -- hand turning?

Back
Top Bottom