Not understanding dosing instructions

hulk247

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
My 5 month old gold laced wyandotte has a cold. She is sneezing a lot, and has some snot at her nostrils. I bought some oxytetracycline at the feed store by me. I hope the picture is here that I attached. Could someone please help me. I have a one gallon water feeder and need to know how much to add to the water. Also is it ok to let my other five chickens drink if they don't need it?

Well it isn't letting me download the picture for instructions for some reason. I'll try and explain. The bag is 158.5 g / 6.4 oz. Dose is 200-400mg/gal. Not exactly sure how to convert properly and just being overly cautious I don't want to give my sweet girl too much.

Unfortunately without knowing the brand, it can be hard to find the exact mixing instructions for 1 gallon. Bimeda brand is fairly close, but doesn't give 1 gallon dosing.

If you are using this brand, then the dosage for 400mg is 1 and 1/4 tablespoonsful per gallon and 2 and 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon for the 800mg dosage which is what I would use. Of course the grams are different, but the weight is the same on the package.

oxytetracycline-hci-6-4oz-packet-14.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that is the one I am going to use. Is it ok to use with my non sick birds? Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. This is all new to me, and just trying to learn all I can.

Yes that is the one I am going to use. Is it ok to use with my non sick birds? Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. This is all new to me, and just trying to learn all I can.

I don't recommend using antibiotics on non sick birds, no more than using antibiotics on non sick humans. Separate your sick bird in crate or cage, provide feed and give her the treated water. Only give medicated water to your other birds if they start showing symptoms.
I hope you checked for something in the environment causing your hens symptoms; perhaps she inhaled feed dust or feed granule or something along those lines....otherwise your other birds would be showing respiratory symptoms if it were a respiratory disease.

X 2. Since chickens don't get colds, but respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD,) coryza, or infectious larygotracheitis (ILT) you may want to look at this link to compare symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Many diseases look alike, and you also may want to take your sickest bird and get it tested with nasal or rectal swabs by your vet, or sacrifice her to get a necropsy done by your state vet: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx and
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml

Ok thank you so much for all of the info. I haven't given her the medication yet. I will check out all other possibilities first.

Well I was just outside, and My other 3 chickens are starting to sneeze to. The question I have is. Do I fill up there regular water feeder with the medication? Or do I give the medication in another container than there normal water feeder?

I am just confused if they should be drinking the antibiotics all day, or just for a limited amount of time? Thanks and sorry for so many dumb questions.

Back
Top Bottom