Nova, RIP

Kino

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
On July 26th, I lost one of my favorite chicks.
She was a Quail Belgian Antwerp Bantam that we ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery. She lasted about 11 weeks.
Nova was diagnosed with cross beak, and not just any cross beak - but the severe case of cross beak. She seemed fine when we first noticed it, and it was off by just a tad. However, it first started around week 2-5 of having her. And, as always, it worsens as they grow. But, when she reached the age of 7-11 weeks, it was severe, and it is worse than it should be even if it were to be an adult. We tried everything except tube feeding - gave her mashed up moist/wet chick food - which she loved a lot and ate it like crazy. For some reason, though, she remained super scrawny and lacked growth (which may just be because she's a bantam) but she was always fluffed up as well and looked drowsy. On July 25th, one of her eyes kept crusting shut (we continuously cleaned it with warm water + a wet towel), however she kept trying to sleep and avoid food. At this point she was extremely weak and refused to eat the mash or any regular food, and she kept to the corner of the coop with her face in her wing as if she were attempting to slumber. Every time she kept trying to sleep, the eye would crust, and she would have to get it washed again.

But, the day after that, she died.
RIP, Nova, I love you so much - at least you are no longer suffering.
smile.png
<3

*First IMG (3-6 weeks) *Second IMG (7-11)

Kino I too am sorry about Nova; such a sweet little girl and very pretty. These feathered babies of ours have a way of worming their way into our hearts on sight and losing one is never easy.

While short, the time she spent with you sounds like it would have been wonderful for her and she passed knowing she was loved.

hugs.gif

Kino I too am sorry about Nova; such a sweet little girl and very pretty. These feathered babies of ours have a way of worming their way into our hearts on sight and losing one is never easy.

While short, the time she spent with you sounds like it would have been wonderful for her and she passed knowing she was loved.

hugs.gif
The way you put that is too great and very beautiful! It is very complicated to lose them - and this one tried so hard to keep surviving! Thank you, this was very sweet and nice to hear. :)

Back
Top Bottom