Novogen thread

ChickyMudder

Songster
Feb 28, 2023
Oregon
Hello, I hatched 10 Novogen from Jenks hatchery (Oregon). The pullets are soft red/yellow and the roos are light yellow.
I separated the roos because they created chaos in the brooder.

Wondering what you all think of your novogen?
Im not sure Im a fan. I hear they are great layers but they are skittish and the roos are the most human aggressive that Ive ever raised. I hatched these buggers and imprinted them. I reached in to pet them and one bit me like it was a damn crab! Just held on like a pitbull. absolutely insane.
Ive raised RIR, wellsummer, buff orpington, black copper maran, leg horns, and barn yard mix roos and never seen anything like this. Even the pullets are high strung and dont like to be interacted with.

I might sell them. I dont want them stressing the rest of the flock.

I have five hens. 2 are Novogen hens. They are the first to come to me thinking I have snacks. They've never pecked at me, except into my hand when I've had snacks. However I've noticed if they see my wedding ring, they try to peck at it. They do seem to be dominant in the group and very curious. I'm brooding out 4 more Novogens now. I guess I'll see how it goes. Boy can they lay eggs!

Hello, I hatched 10 Novogen from Jenks hatchery (Oregon). The pullets are soft red/yellow and the roos are light yellow.

Im not sure Im a fan. I hear they are great layers but they are skittish and the roos are the most human aggressive that Ive ever raised. I hatched these buggers and imprinted them. I reached in to pet them and one bit me like it was a damn crab! Just held on like a pitbull. absolutely insane.
Ive raised RIR, wellsummer, buff orpington, black copper maran, leg horns, and barn yard mix roos and never seen anything like this. Even the pullets are high strung and dont like to be interacted with.

By the way, I'm in Oregon too! Hi neighbor!

I have 15 novagen pullets and they are all super friendly. They come running to you when you go out to them and you can picke them up and they don't fuss about it.

The pullets are friendly enough. Not as friendly as my Leghorns or RIR, but the run to me. Its the cockerels that are insane … like the pit bull of chickens. My RIR and Leghorn cockerels are calm and haven't showed any aggression.
Just saying my Novogens arent all they are described as.

Back
Top Bottom