Sexed pullets but are mine 50/50?!

Amhick

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Hi! I'm a new chick mama who wanted only hens, but am starting to feel like maybe I got duped lol. These chicks were supposedly all sexed pullets. Of the chicks that I got 2 of each breed, it seems like I have one pullet and one cockerel. I'd like to see what you all think. I'm only sus because I have 2 of these breeds and am comparing them to each other.

#1 were sexed Isa Browns. Side by side pic is as chicks and at 3 weeks, standing in the same position. I know that these are sexed based on color at hatching. The one that's more yellow wasn't solid yellow, there's brown on the head and two light brown stripes down the back by each wing (very similar to a male cinnamon queen, but is supposedly isa). At 3 weeks are both feathering in with some brown, although Margaret on the bottom has more brown. I'm suspicious of my lighter Isa on the top that Cindy Lou is actually not Isa and is a CQ roo.
Photo_2023-05-01_08-47-11_PM.png

(Here you can see the sus at the bottom left with the brown stripes down the back)
Screenshot_20230501_204352_Gallery.jpg

#2 Are my supposed sexed barred rock pullets. The one on the top looks like she has more black feathers. You cant see, but the tail is also just a little longer. The one on the bottom seems like it has more white in the feathering, but maybe Im seeing things. Im sus of the bottom one that its a roo.

20230501_202255.jpg

#3 is my lavender Orpingtons. The one on the left developed longer wing feathers quicker, as well as the tail. The one on the right seems to have a thicker spined feathering on the back of the neck if that makes sense. It looks more shiny. And has a shorter tail as you can see. The bottom orpington is the one that is sus to be a roo.
(RIP to our 3rd lavender who died at 4 days)
20230501_202158.jpg

Thank you all so much!

ISA browns are sex linked so if they are red hens and if they are white roo as for the rocks wait until six week.
Did not know this about ISA, but it is in fact true. I always just thought they were a great hybrid, not sex linked. Cool.

But with that said, every hatchery would have had to "develop" their strain, since you wouldn't be able to get more ISA browns by breeding two together. So there maybe some variation depending on the parents genes/breed.

Did not know this about ISA, but it is in fact true. I always just thought they were a great hybrid, not sex linked. Cool.

But with that said, every hatchery would have had to "develop" their strain, since you wouldn't be able to get more ISA browns by breeding two together. So there maybe some variation depending on the parents genes/breed.
Hatcherys breed a white hen for example a Delaware with a red rooster for example a Rhode Island Red. I have had six varieties of them isa browns are a little more white washed red rockets are darker and red sex links are in betwee. They are all essentially the same thing they are amazing layers I got a triple yolker from them once.

Hatcherys breed a white hen for example a Delaware with a red rooster for example a Rhode Island Red. I have had six varieties of them isa browns are a little more white washed red rockets are darker and red sex links are in betwee. They are all essentially the same thing they are amazing layers I got a triple yolker from them once.
Absolutely agree.

Most of the hybrids we had are all gone now, we had Novagens, which I believe are similar if not the same thing. We mainly hatch most of what we have now. Although I have never gotten a triple yolker, they do lay some monsters, that is for sure.

Absolutely agree.

Most of the hybrids we had are all gone now, we had Novagens, which I believe are similar if not the same thing. We mainly hatch most of what we have now. Although I have never gotten a triple yolker, they do lay some monsters, that is for sure.
I love variety so six chickens that look so similar was annoying for me we kept two so we could still get some eg from them they lay huge eggs every day.

Back
Top Bottom