Chick sexing ISA, EE, Brahma

Back 30

Chirping
May 3, 2022
Virginia
I have and crossed one easter egger rooster X 4 ISA Browns, two light brahmas and an easter egger hen that lays a blue egg. One brahma was broody so I hatched one day's lay... one brahma egg, one blue ee egg and four ISA brown eggs under the broody light brahma. Of the six eggs, five hatched. One died at hatch, one died on day two. I believe the chick was stepped on during a thunderstorm. It was a large healthy chick that had feathers on its legs indicating, to me, that it was the brahma chick. One brown egg did not hatch so I was left with a survival rate of 50% and a hatch rate of 83.3%. Of the three surviving chicks, two have slate gray legs I believe that I have one Ee X ISA- rooster, one Ee X ISA-hen (due to the sex-link trait characteristics of ISAs and deductive reasoning) and one EE hen which is gray as a chick and has slate colored legs. I will post some pics and look forward to the opinions of the community and experts :)

Attachments

• 20230801_093742_HDR.jpg
    20230801_093742_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 20230721_125649.jpg
    20230721_125649.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230815_194110.jpg
    20230815_194110.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230815_194107.jpg
    20230815_194107.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230815_194042.jpg
    20230815_194042.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230804_182539.jpg
    20230804_182539.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 28
They are not sex linked with those parents, but they white chick's comb looks pretty wide and colorful, so guessing that is a cockerel.

I'm guessing the brown one and the white one have the ISA browns as mothers, and the gray chick has the Americana as the mother.

They are not sex linked with those parents, but they white chick's comb looks pretty wide and colorful, so guessing that is a cockerel.

I'm guessing the brown one and the white one have the ISA browns as mothers, and the gray chick has the Americana as the mother.
You and I are on the same page. Thank you for the confirmation and ego stroke. I was thinking there were some kind of sex link traits because one came out white and the other chipmunk. Especially when considering they are both ISA brown crosses.

You and I are on the same page. Thank you for the confirmation and ego stroke. I was thinking there were some kind of sex link traits because one came out white and the other chipmunk. Especially when considering they are both ISA brown crosses.
Do you see anything that leads you to believe the other two are hens??

Cool! No, the sex link thing won't work because it relies on genetically red/gold males crossed onto silver hens, and only works in the first generation because the offspring will then have genes of both colors and there is no way to know how they will mix together.

They just too young. The brown one has somewhat splotchy coloring, and that can mean you have a cockerel, but not always. I'd watch color and size of the combs. 6-8 weeks is a good time to evaluate.
The roo I have now was splotchy but it was the attitude that gave him away early. Same with the white one. I can tell by the mannerisms that he's a he. Just not sure with the brown chick. The gray one is a late bloomer but I'm thinking that's a characteristic of a larger bird (the "Americana"). I'd be blown away if that one was a cockerel.

The roo I have now was splotchy but it was the attitude that gave him away early. Same with the white one. I can tell by the mannerisms that he's a he. Just not sure with the brown chick. The gray one is a late bloomer but I'm thinking that's a characteristic of a larger bird (the "Americana"). I'd be blown away if that one was a cockerel.
Well I hope you get two pullets. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom