NPIP certification courses are coming up in Virginia

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
Hey everyone!

I have had the worst time trying to find someone to NPIP certify my flock and found that the state is offering certification courses for free. If anyone is interested in taking this course, the dates are as follows:

Saturday, March 20th at 11 am at the Harrisonburg Laboratory
Saturday, March 27th at 11 am at the Harrisonburg Laboratory (I will be attending this class and would love company!
smile.png
)
Saturday, April 10th at 1:00 pm at teh Ivor Laboratory

Dr. Meza will be conducting all sessions. If you have any questions or would like to sign up for one of the classes, please contact him directly at 540-209-9130.

I'm also having a hard time finding someone to test my flock and I was thinking about becoming a NPIP tester just so I can at least do my own. I'm so glad you mentioned this!!!!

The 27th looks like the best date for me, too, that would be so cool to take the class with a friend! Now I just need to see if hubby will watch the kids while I drive 2 hours up there, take the class and drive 2 hours back.
tongue.png

Please do come! I understand the drive, as I am going to have to drive 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back, but I think it will be worth it in the end.
smile.png

I don't know how anybody else does it, but in Mississippi I called the Animal Health Control Board and they are going to come to my house and check my flock and NPIP certify my flock. They will do it annually for free. And they are actually the ones driving 3 hours 1 way.

Unfortunately it is not that way here in Virginia. They will offer the courses for free and train people how to do it, but that is the extent of it. Once I am certified though, I can test other people's flocks too. They just need more people who are willing to be certified to test, then when someone calls asking about testing, they can give your name out and you are the one that gets to charge the fee. I called a man here locally yesterday to see if he'd come and test my flock. When I found out it was going to be $50 annually for him to do that, I figured I would come out better in the long run to learn how to do it myself, even if I do have to drive 3 hours one way to do it.
wink.png

Just a reminder for those of you who are interested in taking this course, tomorrow starts the first one so you would need to call Dr. Meza today and get the paper work faxed if you plan on attending tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then you still need to get paper work filled out for the next two classes and mailed or faxed in.

Hope to see some people there on the 27th!
smile.png

Barry, basically there's a test run on your birds to make sure that your flock is healthy and disease free. If they are, then your flock is certified and you are allowed to do things such as carrying your birds across state lines.

Back
Top Bottom