NR360 forced-air incubator but uneven temps

Shoebox

Songster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, This is the first time I've set some duck eggs in a few years so I feel a bit out of practice. I always successfully used a Nurture Right 360 before, but this is a new one.

I have 2 thermometer hygrometers in the NR360 and they're showing quite a difference in readings on one side vs the other, even though it's a forced-air incubator so it should be equalizing itself. I have 8 ducks eggs set all evenly spaced apart, and I've made sure the incubator is level on the table.

I have it set at 99.5°F and humidity has shown a consistent 55% on the incubator sensor. I ran it with water 12 hours to stabilize before setting eggs, and my extra thermometers matched the readings on the top of the incubator during that time. But now when I checked back 8 hours later after setting the eggs, one thermometer read 100.9°F 51% humidity, and the other on the opposite side read 98.4°F 57% humidity.

I took the thermometers out to see if they would measure the same for the room, and they were very close within margin of error (64.2° 43% and 64.9° 42%). So it seems clear that the incubator is actually having such differences.

Should I be concerned about it running too hot on one side? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Edit: I lowered the incubator thermostat a degree to be on the safer side, but now the thermometers have moved with the egg turner to front and back instead of the sides and are reading even higher at 101°. Confused and concerned.

20230516_013417.jpg 20230516_024623.jpg

Last edited:
From my research, I have learned that a little bit lower is better than too hot. It might just take an extra day or two for them to hatch. If the eggs are evenly spread out and they're rotating with your egg turner, they should be fine. If you don't mind me asking what type of hydrometer thermometer are you using? Also I've only ever done chicken eggs I'm not sure how different duck eggs are. Good luck

what id do is figure out the cold side and nestle an old towel around that area .. then id be sure the rest of it isnt too hot, 101 scares me personally ... a variation of a degree or so wont hurt anything, as long as its in the 'goldilocks' zone lol .. a smaller bator will react to ambient conditions, especially all open and exposed to room drafts .. but yeah, nestling a towel partially around it will likely even it out a bit ..

From my research, I have learned that a little bit lower is better than too hot. It might just take an extra day or two for them to hatch. If the eggs are evenly spread out and they're rotating with your egg turner, they should be fine. If you don't mind me asking what type of hydrometer thermometer are you using? Also I've only ever done chicken eggs I'm not sure how different duck eggs are. Good luck
Thank you, here's hoping they'll still be okay despite a slight temp spike.

This is the thermometer/hygrometer I'm using: https://incubatorwarehouse.com/incubator-thermometer-hygrometer.html

what id do is figure out the cold side and nestle an old towel around that area .. then id be sure the rest of it isnt too hot, 101 scares me personally ... a variation of a degree or so wont hurt anything, as long as its in the 'goldilocks' zone lol .. a smaller bator will react to ambient conditions, especially all open and exposed to room drafts .. but yeah, nestling a towel partially around it will likely even it out a bit ..
Oh thank you, that's a better way to think of it as having a cold side instead of a hot side, and makes sense realizing the incubator's probe is on that "cold side" so I guess it was heating more overall trying to bring that temp up. 101° scares me too and then I saw later from the thermometer memory that it hit 102° at one point even after I'd lowered the set temp to under 98, so here's hoping I didn't lose them. 😢 Never had any problem like this before with my old Nurture Right.

Back
Top Bottom