Nutrena Naturewise chick starter grower feed

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
I bought Nutrena Naturewise chick starter its non medicated for Serama chick three weeks old is it good for him or woukd the medicated be best ? Wanting thoughts on this !

That's what I've used for layer breeds and silkies. I've never used medicated so I can't give an opinion on that. Before my chicks go outside I'll introduce them to a little dirt and then just keep an eye on them when they go to the coop and use Corid if needed.

I bought Nutrena Naturewise chick starter its non medicated for Serama chick three weeks old is it good for him or woukd the medicated be best ? Wanting thoughts on this !
In most cases, either one will be equally good.

The medicated one will help prevent coccidiosis.

Some chicks get coccidiosis even when they do eat medicated feed (although it is less likely). Many people raise chicks with no medicated feed and do not have coccidiosis problems. It seems to depend on where you live (coccidiosis is more common in some climates) and the brooder conditions (dry is better, wet is bad) and probably a few other variables.

Since you already bought the non-medicated feed, I would suggest you just use that.

If the chick does get coccidiosis, you can treat it with Corid (amprolium), which is the same medicine that would be in the medicated feed (but you use a higher dose if the chick actually has problems.)

In most cases, either one will be equally good.

The medicated one will help prevent coccidiosis.

Some chicks get coccidiosis even when they do eat medicated feed (although it is less likely). Many people raise chicks with no medicated feed and do not have coccidiosis problems. It seems to depend on where you live (coccidiosis is more common in some climates) and the brooder conditions (dry is better, wet is bad) and probably a few other variables.

Since you already bought the non-medicated feed, I would suggest you just use that.

If the chick does get coccidiosis, you can treat it with Corid (amprolium), which is the same medicine that would be in the medicated feed (but you use a higher dose if the chick actually has problems.)
thank you for all your information.

I agree with NatJ. If you keep the brooder and coop dry, coccidiosis is unlikely to be a problem, though some strains of the disease are worse than others. If they are wet coccidiosis is more likely to occur. I'm one of those that does not use medicated feed. If a problem occurs I'd use Corid to treat it. Haven't needed to yet.

I agree with NatJ. If you keep the brooder and coop dry, coccidiosis is unlikely to be a problem, though some strains of the disease are worse than others. If they are wet coccidiosis is more likely to occur. I'm one of those that does not use medicated feed. If a problem occurs I'd use Corid to treat it. Haven't needed to yet.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom