Nutrition and gender, and inducing broodiness

Chicks have grown by leaps and bounds in the last 24 hours. Day 15. I picked up some 1/4" hardware cloth, and plan to make a basket for lock down. I hope to get 8 eggs into a second layer to make more room for the chicklets to spread out during lock down.

LG - fascinating studies you are doing! I am looking forward to the continuing saga. Because I have not hatched, please tell me what "lockdown" is.

The last 3 days of incubation, you stop turning the eggs, raise the humidity, and basically... take your hands off the incubator. This gives the chicks time to position themselves for the hatch. Just for grins and giggles, go to the learning center and read "hatching 101". Even if you don't intend to hatch eggs, there's a wealth of information in there that will give you an incredible appreciation for the Master design behind the whole process. The entire physiology of the process will blow your socks off.

Had to turn bator down last night. I'm wondering if they are kicking up their metabolism. It makes no sense that the bator should need to be adjusted. The thermostat should hold things steady, with the bulbs cycling more often to make up for drops in room temp. This box does not have a tight fitting lid, so that may be the cause. Air cells are not getting as big as I would expect. Have switched to a sponge. Let it go dry a couple of times, otherwise keeping it between 20 - 25%. Egg shells seem to be very dense.

Day 17. Had to turn the bator down yet again last night. Assuming that I get a hatch, the plan is to set chicks up in a corner of the big coop, with a heating pad for a "broody hen". This will be my last attempt to influence broodiness in the flock. Plan to set a control hatch, straight from the nest boxes, without sorting regarding shape.

Day 20. At least one internal pip. Obviously, I'm excited to see how the hatch progresses. Just boosted humidity up to 65% with a wet washcloth laid across the wire grid that separates the electronics from the hatching compartment. That's definitely not the best way to go about it, but... desperate times call for desperate measures. Tore the incubator apart last night to install a raised floor so I could install a water and sponge reservoir. Have plans for an upgrade to this box as soon as this hatch is completed, then will start a hatch of eggs straight from the nest to do a control group on gender selection.

I am finding this whole experiment fascinating! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I can't wait to read more updates.

Back
Top Bottom