NY chicken lover!!!!

We sent 12 birds to auction this morning and afterwards realized we forgot the one lone mille fleur d'uccle roo in the bantam pen. Oh well there will be other days. I'll consider him lucky.

On the maran egg topic, I know someone who sand papers part of the outer coating off to help with hatching.
Edited to add: She sand papers the section over the air sac.

I talked with someone at TSC lookin for Mille's. I should keep a list in my pocket of who has what. Though I did encourage her to join us here at the chicken sanitarium.
gig.gif
No one ever gets well, we just endure the disease.
lau.gif
AND JUST DON'T TRY TO ESCAPE!

We had a tiny little egg come out of the BLRW pen. I thought it would just be whites, but it did have a tiny little yolk. I fried a normal size egg with it to compare.

Cleaning the brooder and the girls decided to corral one of the chicks that were in a box waiting to be put back in the brooder.
Please tell me that is not a typical egg from a BLRW. We have a bunch (15) coming in april. I peeked at your pics and I love your roo! Do you breed them?

Please tell me that is not a typical egg from a BLRW. We have a bunch (15) coming in april. I peeked at your pics and I love your roo! Do you breed them?
No that is not a typical egg. Any bird can have that happen and it is called a "fart" egg. That was the first time I've had one from my BLRW. I do breed them. I've gotten my birds from a few different breeders. I don't think they are as nice as what Sue bred, but I still think they are beautiful. I'm gradually improving as I breed. Here's some more pics.

Well you just let me know when you're coming this way. I'll hatch a bunch and you can have them all.
lau.gif
If I get another row for this turner that will be 42 to start.

I talked with someone at TSC lookin for Mille's. I should keep a list in my pocket of who has what. Though I did encourage her to join us here at the chicken sanitarium.
gig.gif
lau.gif

Now, I happen to have porcelain D'Uccles (kind of like Mille's
hmm.png
) They are very cute and then you could swap with others. And we would love to have some Dels. Any chance you would like to swap hatching eggs?
big_smile.png

gig.gif
lau.gif
I only have the one left. He hatched out right about when I got rid of his parents last spring (downsized what breeds I was breeding). If anyone wants him they can have him.

Sue, does that mean you keep the humidity between 30-40% then increase it to 55-65% during lockdown? Got a hatch going right now in a new 1588 and that's what I've been doing, but I do sincerely value your advice...especially since I have a few of Rancher's marans in here along with MJ's silkies! Yes Rancher, break out the tinfoil hats, but if you saw MJ's silkies..you wouldn't be able to resist either! LOL Speaking of silkies..I saw yours too Sue...hmmm....
smile.png
I actually don't know what the humidity is. my hygrometer always reads "low". I put them in a styro genesis the last days to hatch, and then, I do fill all the water channels full. Close the lid, the let it go. It usually reads about 60 -70 at that point.

BTW, I have loads of white silkie chicks. Can''t keep them all! I'll be offering a few for sale soon. I wanted to wait until they were a few weeks old.

Rancher, how are those babies coming?
smile.png

The hatch is done and it's 25/36. They all are doing well with the exception of perhaps four who seem tired. Late hatchers. The first few days are always rough. On me! Hoping they all do ok. There's always the runt you know.

I'll post pics in a few days.

I'll also be starting some more just cuz. I know there will always be takers.

I reckon if I want a good number of these marans I'll have to do the whole incubator full. I can't understand why they are so hard at hatching. With only four hens I don't dare save eggs for more than 5 days.

Now, I happen to have porcelain D'Uccles (kind of like Mille's
hmm.png
) They are very cute and then you could swap with others. And we would love to have some Dels. Any chance you would like to swap hatching eggs?
big_smile.png

Well now I don't have room for another breed, but I'll give you some eggs to hatch if you really want them. Just give me a couple of days warning and I'll save you some. They're laying well right now. Got two roosters in there.

How far away are you? Might make more sense to mail them if you want to pay postage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom