NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure of anyone local, other than farmers markets or roadside stands. I think someone on FB in one of the farm sale groups or maybe CL was advertising a pickling package - cukes, garlic and fresh dill. I know when we went to The Windmill a few years ago they had large batches of cukes for sale. Indian Creek Farm in Ithaca had some u-pick. Nice place. Entertaining weekly crop updates. http://indiancreekithaca.com/2014/08/14/shall-we-impeach/

Thanks for the link.  We are headed to Ithaca Labor day weekend.  :)

Another to check out would be Eddydale, they are south of Ithaca on Rt 13, between Buttermilk Falls and the 13/96 split. I know they have a large farm stand/market and grow cukes. No u-pick involved. Don't have a website for them, but Tompkins phone book is 827 Elmira Rd, #607-277-3617. Of course depending on the day, Ithaca has a huge farmers market. Never been, but follow them on FB. And Indian Creek posts often on FB if a crop is getting over picked or is now available.

Evening All,
I cannot believe how hard a time I'm having with this whole living here without chickens! I mean, I knew it would bother me but I figured if worse came to worse is get over it and move on and deal with that "emptiness" until I could have them again. Who would have thought chickens-of all animals-would be the hardest thing I've ever had to "part with"! I'm just glad I reached out to this realtor and asked her if she could find me some land to rent/lease. It sounds like she's knows a few folks who are "right around the corner" from me and if that's the case that'd be awesome! Now here's a question, and I'm hoping someone has an idea for me. If I do end up paying to "rent" this land just to house my chickens there, what do you think is fair price? I mean it's not like I need an acre! But let's say I did want an acre or half, what's the most it could cost me a month?? The way I look at it, if someone has 7+ acres and wants to rent out 1 whole acre to me but doesn't have a problem with what I'd want to add, then I really wouldn't have a problem paying. If I could add more chickens, ducks, heck maybe even a goat or two! If it was worth it I'd do it. I'm just wondering how much land could go for.

Just be careful - I know you are missing them now - but I can see it being like boarding a horse ...

The first few weeks or even months - excitement is carrying you ... then the travel is a real burden, especially in bad weather. Even a 5 (yes FIVE) minute drive is a burden when done twice a day and it would take you more than the 20 minutes on the road - you have prep, carry things often, forget and run back ....

with my horse owners - they always start out strong and then rarely come to visit their horses. :( Now I have no boards because I can't trust any owners to keep up with their part of the bargain.

SO --- really beware when not setting up walking distance from your back door....... Also - you will be at the mercy of he landlowner - and things always start out the best and .....

I don't mean to burst your bubble - but give yourself time to settle in and get caught up in first days of school - then decide.

Glad you are still coming here !!!!

Evening All,
I cannot believe how hard a time I'm having with this whole living here without chickens! I mean, I knew it would bother me but I figured if worse came to worse is get over it and move on and deal with that "emptiness" until I could have them again. Who would have thought chickens-of all animals-would be the hardest thing I've ever had to "part with"! I'm just glad I reached out to this realtor and asked her if she could find me some land to rent/lease. It sounds like she's knows a few folks who are "right around the corner" from me and if that's the case that'd be awesome! Now here's a question, and I'm hoping someone has an idea for me. If I do end up paying to "rent" this land just to house my chickens there, what do you think is fair price? I mean it's not like I need an acre! But let's say I did want an acre or half, what's the most it could cost me a month?? The way I look at it, if someone has 7+ acres and wants to rent out 1 whole acre to me but doesn't have a problem with what I'd want to add, then I really wouldn't have a problem paying. If I could add more chickens, ducks, heck maybe even a goat or two! If it was worth it I'd do it. I'm just wondering how much land could go for.

Check with your local Cornell Cooperative Extension (I believe they are in other states), they keep track of ag land rental rates.

Just be careful - I know you are missing them now - but I can see it being like boarding a horse ...

The first few weeks or even months - excitement is carrying you ... then the travel is a real burden, especially in bad weather. Even a 5 (yes FIVE) minute drive is a burden when done twice a day and it would take you more than the 20 minutes on the road - you have prep, carry things often, forget and run back ....

with my horse owners - they always start out strong and then rarely come to visit their horses. :( Now I have no boards because I can't trust any owners to keep up with their part of the bargain.

SO --- really beware when not setting up walking distance from your back door....... Also - you will be at the mercy of he landlowner - and things always start out the best and .....

I don't mean to burst your bubble - but give yourself time to settle in and get caught up in first days of school - then decide.

Glad you are still coming here !!!!

You didn't burst my bubble, this is exactly WHY I want something close rather than in the next town over. I can see myself getting like that in the winter especially if I have to drive in the snow down these roads. I'm really hoping the realtor that helped us find this house really does know something "right around the corner" from us. You also to remember - I don't work, BOTH my kids will be in school now, so I'm going to be BORED! LOL So if it's a 5-10 minute ride up the road that would be great. I have to look at it like, if I were still in NY and Chris had my flock, he lived about 5-10 mins down the road from me, would I drive that everyday? I sure would. And there were 2 huge hills I had to go up and down to get to his house! At least here in the winter, there are no hills, I have yet to see a mountain.
sad.png
I really miss that. Loved waking up to that view every morning. Anywho...I get what you are saying though. The woman I used to get lessons from used to complain about that all the time! She had maybe 5 people boarding with her and they all lived up near the city in Syracuse. So they had to make 20-30 min trip down to her house to take care of their horses which they didn't do every day - so this woman had to take care of them on the days they weren't there. I always told her if I were to get a horse I'd want it as close by as possible because I would WANT to be there every day after investing all that money to purchase and then pay board.

Check with your local Cornell Cooperative Extension (I believe they are in other states), they keep track of ag land rental rates.

I did find that file online and read thru it. Also found another article stating that depending on where the land is, it could go for $40/acre-$100+/acre. And again I don't even a whole acre but if someone was willing to rent to me for $40-$50 acre, I would take the whole acre if there weren't too many limitations as to what I could add. I think that would be better that limiting myself to a half or less. This way if I want to get breeding pens set up again or get back into the Orps or other breeds I could. I need to touch base with that realtor today. I haven't heard back as to whether or not she was able to contact anyone.

Quote: I would think a acre would be about right .
room to grow / free range .
Youd need a shed . to store stuff . Food / water / bedding / rakes ? what ever you use to clean out the coops /
lawn mower or weed wacker / shovel or snow blower or a dude to plow it out for you .
Otherwise you would have to cart stuff back & forth every time
I would think A acre would be good ...room to grow or free range . I would think you would need a shed also ..
to store food / bedding / a lawn mower / shovels or snowblower

Back
Top Bottom