NY chicken lover!!!!

Anyone in the Wynantskill/Troy/Albany Area?!

Welcome! Not near you (Finger Lakes), but there are a few around the Albany area. Apparently they aren't as chatty as the rest of us.....
tongue.png
How many birds/what kind do you have?

Hello everyone! I'm in western New York. Our family got addicted to chickens last Christmas when we got an incubator for Christmas, lol. We have 3 breeding coops so far. Blue/Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbars, and Cochin/Banties (broodies). I'll be selling fertile eggs in the spring. They are all auto sexing/Sexlinked and hens will lay, brown, green, blue, and Olive.

Now I just discovered 55 Flowering breed. Hopefully soon I'll be able to buy some.

Hello everyone! I'm in western New York. Our family got addicted to chickens last Christmas when we got an incubator for Christmas, lol. We have 3 breeding coops so far. Blue/Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbars, and Cochin/Banties (broodies). I'll be selling fertile eggs in the spring. They are all auto sexing/Sexlinked and hens will lay, brown, green, blue, and Olive.

Now I just discovered 55 Flowering breed. Hopefully soon I'll be able to buy some.
yass finally someone else in western new york! In one year?!!? all that?!?! I'm truly impressed since I've been doing this for what feels like forever and still haven't been too successful haha. You weren't kidding when you say your family "got addicted"
And you raise BCM's?! - Amy, you are a girl after my own heart!
wee.gif

The BCM's you have- Do you know their line? I might be interested in getting some eggs from you later on!

Right now I have all show quality line BCM's so I want to keep my quality pretty high but also work on getting the darkest possible eggs. When you say "they are all autosexing/sexlinked" does this include the BCM's? I didn't know that was possible, or maybe I'm not doing things right because I have to wait for all my BCM chicks to grow up since the gender is hard (for me) to tell until quite a bit later on. Then again I really have no clue what I'm doing on most days so if you have any info on how I can improve the gender determination process lmk!

Cream Legbars- I've wanted for awhile (shhh don't tell mr.baunlee about my plans) but had a hard time finding someone nearby with them available. DCBA flock is also in our area, I believe?, and she also has BCM's -any other WNYkers out there?!

PS: noticed someone in the swap 2017 thread that mentioned they would be looking for BCM eggs so that might be someone you can reach out to. Either way, you should definitely come to our swap and meet the gang! You might end up with even more chickens though! It's hard to set personal boundaries when you see all the beautiful birds people bring.

yass finally someone else in western new york! In one year?!!? all that?!?! I'm truly impressed since I've been doing this for what feels like forever and still haven't been too successful haha. You weren't kidding when you say your family "got addicted" 
And you raise BCM's?! - Amy, you are a girl after my own heart! :weee

The BCM's you have- Do you know their line? I might be interested in getting some eggs from you later on!

Right now I have all show quality line BCM's so I want to keep my quality pretty high but also work on getting the darkest possible eggs. When you say "they are all autosexing/sexlinked" does this include the BCM's? I didn't know that was possible, or maybe I'm not doing things right because I have to wait for all my BCM chicks to grow up since the gender is hard (for me) to tell until quite a bit later on. Then again I really have no clue what I'm doing on most days so if you have any info on how I can improve the gender determination process lmk!

Cream Legbars- I've wanted for awhile (shhh don't tell mr.baunlee about my plans) but had a hard time finding someone nearby with them available. DCBA flock is also in our area, I believe?, and she also has BCM's -any other WNYkers out there?!

PS: noticed someone in the swap 2017 thread that mentioned they would be looking for BCM eggs so that might be someone you can reach out to. Either way, you should definitely come to our swap and meet the gang! You might end up with even more chickens though! It's hard to set personal boundaries when you see all the beautiful birds people bring. 

I'll personal message you with more details on my birds. I'll sell my Blue/Black Copper Marans straight run up until about 6 weeks for $10 each. They have a nice dark brown but not the darkest. I'll sell my fertile eggs for $4.

My Cream Legbars I sell $10 each and fertile eggs for $4 each.

My Sexlinks are $3 for hens, $0.50 for the roosters (lol, they'll be good heritage meat birds), and $1.50 each for eggs.

Where is the swap? Have you checked out WNY Chicken Peeps on Facebook? We're having a swap in the spring.

My Cream Legbar rooster growing in tail feathers after a molt.

Hi. I'm not in your area but I to am looking into getting the 55 flowery breed. I was hoping to get some now but they are kinda sold out for the moment. I want at least a dozen and they only have a few extra at a time at the moment. Also I might be looking for some BCM at chickenstock or legbars.

Hi. I'm not in your area but I to am looking into getting the 55 flowery breed. I was hoping to get some now but they are kinda sold out for the moment. I want at least a dozen and they only have a few extra at a time at the moment. Also I might be looking for some BCM at chickenstock or legbars.

I didn't even notice availability of the 55 Flowering breed. I put 3 hens and 2 roosters in the cart and with shipping it was $270. I was trying to justify the purchase. I was thinking that maybe if ask survived the trip I'd sell a pair for $100. And then I was trying to figure out how many birds I'd have to sell to get my investment back, lol. I'm bad and was thinking of selling chicks for only $10 each and that'd be filling my incubator of 40 about 4/5 times.... Then I thought... It's freezing out, so maybe I'll wait.

I'm not, what is it NIP, tested yet. You have to have 30 birds to qualify for the test... If I wait to process roosters, then I'd have enough... Then my husband reminds me that this is suppose to be a hobby. :p

How far are you?

It would also mean my husband would have to build another coop and run... Which he loves to build creative things... But.

Here are two of his creations:

This one was insulated and had a light fixture for a low wattage heat bulb. Spoiled chickens moved in here.

This one is still a work in progress. Shingled roof, will be semi insulated with a chicken heating pad installed on the wall, and able to be separated in side for broodies.

Back
Top Bottom