NY chicken lover!!!!

Crookhaven uhhh I mean Brookhaven
Lol we’re from Huntington...what are your restrictions in Brookhaven with keeping chickens? We’re only allowed 8 hens no roosters here, but a mile down the road from me in Town of Smithtown they’re allowed unlimited hens and roosters! We currently have 6 younglings at the moment but one is a roo we need to rehome.

Lol we’re from Huntington...what are your restrictions in Brookhaven with keeping chickens? We’re only allowed 8 hens no roosters here, but a mile down the road from me in Town of Smithtown they’re allowed unlimited hens and roosters! We currently have 6 younglings at the moment but one is a roo we need to rehome.
We are only allowed 6 hens and their structure must be at least 50' from side and rear property lines and nothing is allowed in front of the house. That really sucks about your roos, I had to rehome 2 last year. No one around here wanted them either. Thankfully my friends dad took them upstate to his goat farm. I currently have 6 hens but I do have some eggs under a broody right now. I know I'm at my limit but... I don't see whats the problem if they have adequate space and are kept clean. A lot of my neighbors have horses and poultry too so I feel like it won't be a problem. I would really like to be able to supply my parents with eggs eventually, especially in these uncertain times. I just feel like with all the money we pay on taxes they should give us a little more freedom to do what we like, with in reason, with our land. I wish we had no limits lol!!

We are only allowed 6 hens and their structure must be at least 50' from side and rear property lines and nothing is allowed in front of the house. That really sucks about your roos, I had to rehome 2 last year. No one around here wanted them either. Thankfully my friends dad took them upstate to his goat farm. I currently have 6 hens but I do have some eggs under a broody right now. I know I'm at my limit but... I don't see whats the problem if they have adequate space and are kept clean. A lot of my neighbors have horses and poultry too so I feel like it won't be a problem. I would really like to be able to supply my parents with eggs eventually, especially in these uncertain times. I just feel like with all the money we pay on taxes they should give us a little more freedom to do what we like, with in reason, with our land. I wish we had no limits lol!!
I agree...looking to move upstate because there are too many property restrictions around here.

I agree...looking to move upstate because there are too many property restrictions around here.
I would really like to move somewhere more in the country as well unfortunately, well I guess it is kind of fortunate, I work for my father and I hope to one day take over the business. Even if I don't I feel like I would have a hard time finding a job in my industry because it is a field mostly men work in and I feel like other employers would look at me and laugh..

Back
Top Bottom