NY chicken lover!!!!

If that was me with known foxes in the area my fence would be electrified 24/7. I know I have coyotes, raccoons & red fox near me. I only saw the coyote after it was hit in front of my house & took off across my yard into the woods. Coons are seen hit on my street as well and foxes have been seen less than a mile from me. Perhaps the scents of my dogs keep them away but my dogs are not out 24/7.

not fencing acres. Electric fence to free range over 100 birds would be just plain crazy. I'd eat every chicken before I fenced them in. I'm not putting my chickens in jail. Would I want to live in fenced in yard like in prison? Nope and neither will my birds. Nothing against those of you who fence but I won't other than my breeding pens

You need to understand something. I live in a VERY rural area. Old farm land, still in use farm land and lots and lots of woods. The predators would be here if I had chickens or if I didn't. Never mind that, they were here eating rabbits, wild turkeys, grouse, pheasants etc. I'm a country boy through and through. And the way I raise my birds is the way I feel is best for them.

Last edited:
Dang - poor Mama!

thanks. But like I said she had the best possible life a 6 year old hen could ask for. She never had a fence, was only held once in her life, raised so many young Ican't count them all and most of all got to be a chicken. Plus I know her death was quick as she didn't even make a sound. I'm happy to have spent those years with her. She taught me more about chickens than any stupid book could. By me allowing her to live a free life as a chicken.
I see an article on this
wink.png

You need to understand something. I live in a VERY rural area. Old farm land, still in use farm land and lots and lots of woods. The predators would be here if I had chickens or if I didn't. Never mind that, they were here eating rabbits, wild turkeys, grouse, pheasants etc. I'm a country boy through and through. And the way I raise my birds is the way I feel is best for them.
Stony if I lived in a rural area my hens would never be fenced in. But I live in town and need to keep the fence up because I have neighbors close. So I try the best I can to let them have a very large area of grass, plants & trees to spend their days.

Someday I hope to live in a rural area so I can let them be free.

Morning!

My cousin's chickens were attacked by his neighbors dog yesterday and so far there were only 3 survivors. The neighbors gave them a huge peace offering but I told them the dog would be back if they didn't take measures to stop them. I offered him some replacements being that the kids really loved those chickens.

TAB - names - girls really like names that are unique but not wild ..... Rowyn is excellent - but almost all the girls are naming their baby girls Isabella right now.

I will not have kids - but if I had ever had a girl, she would have been named Lorelei ( sounds like Lorl - lie )

I will not have kids - but if I had ever had a girl, she would have been named   Lorelei   ( sounds like Lorl - lie )

(snicker - snicker). No disrespect intended. My sister vowed to never have any children but went on (in her 30's) to have 3 very wild boys. sue

:) None taken! But I am that odd person who always knew I didn't have the proper patience to do it right so I didn't want any - in my early 20's I ask the doc to tie my tubes he refused. Too many people in the world anyhow, if I really wanted kids, I know I would have adopted rather than birthed anyhow. So I went on birth control - which is nothing but hormones and chemicals. Yuck.

I lucked into a strong man who realizes this and got himself snipped so I could stop that chemical madness. :) Now past 45 .... nope - no kids for me. I'll babysit other's kids and get my kid fix for the year.

And wild boys would have just my luck when I like relaxation and peace and quiet. ha ha ha I would have gone raving mad with 18 years of noise and fuss. ha ha ha

Back
Top Bottom