NY chicken lover!!!!

Good morning all. I really hope I see a big turn out for this event. As I have more info I'll share in the chicken stock thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862042/south-salem-ny-spring-chicken-event
LL

Last edited:
Most Amish buy standardbred race horsed that have either retired from the track or that weren't good enough for the track. When I was in college they would come to the auction on the second day and buy a bunch of horses. Not all, but most are VERY hard on horses and don't always treat they very well. Most treat them like they are disposable. They run them into the ground then move on to the next. And DON'T EVER send them a horse to break. They do it in a way that isn't very nice. They will break the horses spirit and the horses that they turn out are like zombies. I had a lot of experience with them when I was working with the race horses. They may be nice people, but I get very upset when it comes to them and their horses! As for fast, Trotters can run a mile in just under 3 minutes during a race, and pacers can go about 1min 50sec or around there. That is about 32 mph. We used to do training races and tried to keep it at about 3 minute miles.
Here is my "Amished" standardbred, Sparky. He was originally imported from New Zealand and made $150,000 before being dumped by his owners. His kind Amish owner sold him to me because he was 14 and getting too old to work that hard, in his words. He was very well taken care of and his owner had tears in his eyes when I took him. He still calls once in a while to check on him and ask how he is doing. Any decent standardbred, trotter or pacer, can do a mile on the track in under 2:00. I have been around standardbreds for 50 years and they are my favorite horse. Sparky transitioned from harness to saddle in a couple of days and scares the bejeebers out of me he is so fast.

welcome-byc.gif
to BYC. Lord have mercy I have enough to follow certain threads here without following someones "blog". So why not stay here and share your knowledge?
wink.png
Welcome!!! I agree! Maybe you can share both. As spring supposedly approaches, I'll be lucky to check in here. Glad to hear from you Ruthiepople.

I had a retired Standardbred Mare - because she had raced her hooves were cracked and splayed ... but she also was so used to harnesses and such around her I could crawl all over her and relearn how to tack up after 20 years without a horse !

She was calm and sweet .... Died BAM overnight. I think it must have been a vessel burst as she was healthy and happy .... I hear that race horses are prone to that and she did race.

I would get another retired SB in a second the next time I am horse shopping - they are big but if trained well - so easy to deal with. There are retired trotter rescues out there :)

OMG just came across this video one of my friends in CT posted! She was on the news (the one holding the little girl in the video) because the house across the street had 193 chickens inside of it! Yes, 193! This was in the town that borders my hometown in Ct.

http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html?key=eyJtIjoiTElOIiwicCI6ImRlZmF1bHQiLCJ2IjoiMjM5OTM1In0=
That is just crazy! I can only handle a few in the back room for a little while, I think that I would die to have that many living in my house.

I had a retired Standardbred Mare - because she had raced her hooves were cracked and splayed ... but she also was so used to harnesses and such around her I could crawl all over her and relearn how to tack up after 20 years without a horse !

She was calm and sweet .... Died BAM overnight. I think it must have been a vessel burst as she was healthy and happy .... I hear that race horses are prone to that and she did race.

I would get another retired SB in a second the next time I am horse shopping - they are big but if trained well - so easy to deal with. There are retired trotter rescues out there :)
I am so sorry. Having been raised on a farm and having horses all my life, I know they can be very lovable, just like any other pet.
hugs.gif

Here is my "Amished" standardbred, Sparky. He was originally imported from New Zealand and made $150,000 before being dumped by his owners. His kind Amish owner sold him to me because he was 14 and getting too old to work that hard, in his words. He was very well taken care of and his owner had tears in his eyes when I took him. He still calls once in a while to check on him and ask how he is doing. Any decent standardbred, trotter or pacer, can do a mile on the track in under 2:00. I have been around standardbreds for 50 years and they are my favorite horse. Sparky transitioned from harness to saddle in a couple of days and scares the bejeebers out of me he is so fast.

Pacers are faster then trotters. I've been off the track for a while.
idunno.gif
And you are very luck to find an amish that took well care of their horses. They are out there, but IMO they are far and few between. It was just my experience. I love Standardbred horses, well all except this one horse, Yankee Jeter, that I had in college, he would pull the crap out of my arms, I think that they are a few inches longer because of him. I tried very hard to buy the first one that I ever took to the races. His name was Stormy. I loved him. I worked with my family to pull together $2500 to buy him. They refused to sell him to me and said that they would be able to get more for him in the auction in Ohio. Well guess what he was sold and they only got $1200 for him. I was so mad and I rubbed it in so much! But anyway, I'm glad that have your baby!

Back
Top Bottom