NY chicken lover!!!!

Morning all. Raining again. This weather is conducive to mites so make sure you check your birds. Mosquitoes are also getting worse and I have to run the gauntlet every time I step outside. I swear they lay in wait for me. I hear the egg song this morning so I better be getting more eggs today than I did yesterday. I put supplements in the water this morning. Hopefully it will help after doing for a couple of weeks or so. My silkie chicks were bouncing around the brooder this morning. I guess it was play time when I put the light on because they were jumping and flying and flapping and having a good ole time! Wait till I clean out their brooder this morning! They will be going crazy!

Rancher--sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately that fox will be back since it already got one, You will have to make its visit unpleasant and unrewarded at best.

Have a good day all!

Not a lot of time, but 

FOX! came today and got one of my EE hens.

The only chickens out were the ones in the fenced in yard.  Neighbor says Fox was here yesterday too, but I didn't notice anyone missing. 

The side hoop with all the broodies was closed and I didn't let the back hoop coop out all day so they were closed.  The Dels are never out so only the Ducks and CR's birds were out in the yard. 

The woods are grown over and the neighbor says she saw my chickens down near the creek.  

THEY WILL NOT BE OUT FOR A WHILE. I don't know what I can do about the fox at this point. 

Im sorry..:(

So Sorry ~ Keep a Watchful eye out for it .it will come back ...if they are out can you be out too ?
Can you cut back the woods so it has no place to hide ?
The mosquitoes are bad but I intend to take my weed whacker and go through the woods and also cut any small trees out. I'll also look for anywhere Fox can build a den and tear it up.

I've considered just setting the entire woods on fire.

I saw a dead fox weeks ago and thought that had solved the problem but she's out there and I will find her. If she has kits they will die, die, die!!

Not a lot of time, but

FOX! came today and got one of my EE hens.

The only chickens out were the ones in the fenced in yard. Neighbor says Fox was here yesterday too, but I didn't notice anyone missing.

The side hoop with all the broodies was closed and I didn't let the back hoop coop out all day so they were closed. The Dels are never out so only the Ducks and CR's birds were out in the yard.

The woods are grown over and the neighbor says she saw my chickens down near the creek.

THEY WILL NOT BE OUT FOR A WHILE. I don't know what I can do about the fox at this point.
Very sorry for your loss. I would LOVE to see mine out bobbin' around my yard and up by my house. But we have fox and hawks. I would feel horrible if a loss occurred. I use an assortment of electronets from Premier1 for my two (currently) groups. I love them and swear by them. I tie them into my horse's fence charger. I have used them for 8 years now and - knock on wood - never a loss to a predator. I occasionally have to remove fried frogs from the bottom of the fences, but that's it.

Thoughts with you, Rancher. So sorry that fox got your hen. He will remember how good she was and will want another ...

My neighbor heard the commotion and came out and chased the fox away. She dropped the bird and my neighbor took it and kept it til she died and then bagged her up and left her near my garage. So she didn't get a bird this time either.

I will hunt her sorry butt down!!

We had a skunk on our front porch early A.M eating the cat food that I leave out for the two stray cats we have.
Do they mess with chickens?
Mine are in a shut down coop at night and a run during the day.. but still concerns me..

Last edited:
We had a skunk on our front porch early A.M eating the cat food that I leave out for the two stray cats we have.
Do they mess with chickens?
Mine are in a shut down coop at night and a run during the day.. but still concerns me..

When we first moved in we had skunk problems. Got in the garage and even found a hole in one wall to crawl through. It's hard to explain. Anyhow.

SKUNKS CAN CARRIES RABIES. That's just one reason for not wanting them about.
CATS WILL FIGHT WITH SKUNKS. That's a second reason for not wanting them about.

I suggest you keep all foods inside or at least bring it inside at night. I'm not sure they harm your chickens but why risk it. They may steal eggs.

Skunks mainly travel along walls so setting a trap along your basement line or other wall area is the best way to catch them. You can relocate them or dispose of them as you see fit. Me? I feed them my famous Peanut butter sandwich. Unlike other animals skunks do not run. They waddle and if you happen upon one they will spray you. They can not as some believe "shoot" their spray over their heads. They have to turn around first.

Beware of Pole Cats.

Very sorry for your loss. I would LOVE to see mine out bobbin' around my yard and up by my house. But we have fox and hawks. I would feel horrible if a loss occurred. I use an assortment of electronets from Premier1 for my two (currently) groups. I love them and swear by them. I tie them into my horse's fence charger. I have used them for 8 years now and - knock on wood - never a loss to a predator. I occasionally have to remove fried frogs from the bottom of the fences, but that's it.

I would love electric fencing but can't afford it. My girls have been out without incidence for months. I've had no problems since last year. I never see Foxes or other critters but I was and am concerned because I've not seen any of my Evening Rabbits.

When we first moved in we had skunk problems.  Got in the garage and even found a hole in one wall to crawl through. It's hard to explain. Anyhow.

SKUNKS CAN CARRIES RABIES. That's just one reason for not wanting them about. 
CATS WILL FIGHT WITH SKUNKS.  That's a second reason for not wanting them about. 

I suggest you keep all foods inside or at least bring it inside at night.  I'm not sure they harm your chickens but why risk it.  They may steal eggs.  

Skunks mainly travel along walls so setting a trap along your basement line or other wall area is the best way to catch them.  You can relocate them or dispose of them as you see fit.  Me?  I feed them my famous Peanut butter sandwich.  Unlike other animals skunks do not run. They waddle and if you happen upon one they will spray you.  They can not as some believe "shoot" their spray over their heads. They have to turn around first. 

Beware of Pole Cats. 

Thanks!

Pole cats?

The mosquitoes are bad but I intend to take my weed whacker and go through the woods and also cut any small trees out. I'll also look for anywhere Fox can build a den and tear it up.

I've considered just setting the entire woods on fire.

I saw a dead fox weeks ago and thought that had solved the problem but she's out there and I will find her. If she has kits they will die, die, die!!
seems harsh but understand your feelings. My family love foxes. But we are considering shooting this one if we can't trap her. She's taken a good chunk of our original 30 over two years(except for the three we still have, a couple that past in the winter, a silkie roo that suicide drowned itself in a fight, and a red roo that became a football when he attack the 3 yr old :( ) She has eaten the neighbor's down the road 1/4 of the mile too. Hope you can solve this issue. :)

Back
Top Bottom