NY chicken lover!!!!

Oddly i dont find the ny forums very helpful or friendly. Ive posted questions in here and basically been overlooked or ignored. It seems if you are not an all day regular..no one really answers...sadly...i hope other newbies to these forums are getting better results. Just my experience...

Hold on. I'm on here everyday and I know I sometimes sound like a know it all. It's only because I read so much. I'm also on the Homestead thread and the canning thread and the crochet thread.

I can't follow them all. Some I just drop in from time to time just to keep the thread alive. I know I'm a pain in the tuckus but such is life. I have ticked folks off but I've been ticked off too. You just have to give me a little more grace than most. I don't hold grudges and so if I address you after a tif don't be surprised.

So what is it you need help with?

Okay folks here it is. You can PM me anytime you want. If I don't know the answer I might be able to direct you to someone here who can.

Love you all,

Rancher

I have one rir "pokey" that continiously pecks my light brahma's "bob" feathers from his rear end. I have tried blue kyote, seperating her, peck no more lotion, hot spray, increase protien. and a ton of other things. I recently purchased pinless peepers. I hope thisxwill work. Bob is very easy going to he does nothing when the ladies do this.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I have one rir "pokey" that continiously pecks my light brahma's "bob" feathers from his rear end. I have tried blue kyote, seperating her, peck no more lotion, hot spray, increase protien. and a ton of other things. I recently purchased pinless peepers. I hope thisxwill work. Bob is very easy going to he does nothing when the ladies do this.

Any other suggestions?

I hope the peepers work for you and Bob. I haven't had this trouble yet, but I just thought I would let you know I saw your comment even though I have nothing to offer as an alternative.
I have also sometimes felt out of the loop.

Any other suggestions?

How much space do you have in your coop? Are they in a run? How big is that?

In the beginning I had eight breeds. 3 of each kind. I gave away the Golden comets, the aussies and the Silver laced because they were just bald. They just did not fit and rather than see them suffer I posted to CL and gave them away.

Some breeds do not get along together.

My Dels are okay with Frenchy and Buckwheat, two little frizzles. I can add EE's and Marans and they're okay. BUT I can not add a Del to the Marans coop. EE's are okay because they're also black.

Is the Brahma the rooster? Is he or was he younger when added to the flock?

RIR's are a bit more high strung. At least that's what I gather from my reading. Keep in mind some breeds are high strung or less calm. My Dominique girls were talkers. One would get in the coop at night and crab pretty loud until the others came in.

I've got three Marans on eggs, one of that bit me pretty darn good. The other two I stick my hand in to check the eggs and no problem.

It could be boredom too. This is why I like to add hay/straw to my runs. Then when I toss scratch, before I let them out, they have to, look for it. Too leave some weeds to grow high. I have a spot of weeds that my young ones hide in.

As you can see there are lots of reasons chickens will peck others in the flock. I wish you well, Rancher

Last edited:
Lisa, I too have some with bare bottoms. Mama, who is one of my originals, and high on the pecking order always has her heinie plucked bare. She doesn't do it herself. And my rooster, likewise. They leave him more camouflage, but he has a bare strip. Some get their heads plucked. It is always the same pattern on a bird. When they pecked Earls comb, Pick No More was helpful, but I haven't tried it at the other end. So, I have no solution for you, but only empathy. Sometimes I don't answer if I don't know how to help, and I think we should all be glad of that. No one wants to ignore anyone, it's ok to ask your question multiple times, there is no one in charge here, and no one knows everything. Stick around, you will see. Sorry if it seemed unwelcoming, we are usually pretty nice. I am glad you are here.

How much space do you have in your coop? Are they in a run? How big is that? In the beginning I had eight breeds. 3 of each kind. I gave away the Golden comets, the aussies and the Silver laced because they were just bald. They just did not fit and rather than see them suffer I posted to CL and gave them away. Some breeds do not get along together. My Dels are okay with Frenchy and Buckwheat, two little frizzles. I can add EE's and Marans and they're okay. BUT I can not add a Del to the Marans coop. EE's are okay because they're also black. Is the Brahma the rooster? Is he or was he younger when added to the flock? RIR's are a bit more high strung. At least that's what I gather from my reading. Keep in mind some breeds are high strung or less calm. My Dominique girls were talkers. One would get in the coop at night and crab pretty loud until the others came in. I've got three Marans on eggs, one of that bit me pretty darn good. The other two I stick my hand in to check the eggs and no problem. It could be boredom too. This is why I like to add hay/straw to my runs. Then when I toss scratch, before I let them out, they have to, look for it. Too leave some weeds to grow high. I have a spot of weeds that my young ones hide in. As you can see there are lots of reasons chickens will peck others in the flock. I wish you well, Rancher
Bob i dont know know his age. My uncle gave him to me as a present, he bought him at an auction. He was not crowing though and his breed are slow to mature. He does crow and mate now. My chickens are free range so they cant get too bored there is a lot of land. I know they are high strung. You really cant put anyone in with the rir, except maybe a stronger rooster? Im not sure. Bob is my buddy and currently in my "hospital" cool regrowing hos feathers. I just hope these work. Im open to sugestions

Any other suggestions?

I have an Ameracauna rooster. The girls sit next to him & pull the feathers out of his beard & muffs. He sits there & just lets them do it. The girls were eating his feathers............yyuk ! I added black oil sunflower seeds to their diet. It seems to help a little bit. I also give them raw &/or cooked meat, carcasses from turkey dinner, venision during hunting season etc. The other day I tossed out raw burger to them. OMG, they were in heaven. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions

Bob i dont know know his age. My uncle gave him to me as a present, he bought him at an auction. He was not crowing though and his breed are slow to mature. He does crow and mate now. My chickens are free range so they cant get too bored there is a lot of land.

I know they are high strung. You really cant put anyone in with the rir, except maybe a stronger rooster? Im not sure.

Bob is my buddy and currently in my "hospital" cool regrowing hos feathers. I just hope these work. Im open to sugestions

Chickens aren't all the same even in the same breeds. They do have their personalities.

You might try a higher protein feed. When the cold weather comes I switch to Agway egg producer pellets with a 21% protein.

Too easy on the scratch and treats. They will forgo feed if it's a choice between left over pizza and pellets.
lol.png
Wouldn't you?
lol.png

We can only do our best.

The
There are five. I'm pretty sure I heard movement in at least two. I'm really bummed, but my marans sit but I don't usually get many chicks because the coop gets so hot I think.  I also don't have a good light to candle the marans eggs. I think hatching requires a cooler area. 

So I have three under a C. Rock and two under Big Delores. One of Big Delores is a quitter, I'm pretty sure. There are veins but it should be near done today. I'll candle tonight again. 

I will be pulling all eggs this week from the Marans and the C. Rock and Big Delores. They've been sitting far too long. 

There is a new C. Rock on eggs and a Delaware went broody the end of last week.  They're on Del eggs.  

Perhaps you should bring a couple of more eggs just in case. If you'd like.   I can replace any duds of the Delaware eggs with Duck eggs. I should be able to see some life by the end of this week.  

TTFN, 

Rancher

Anyone call Melissa about this chickenstock thing?   I'm about to send her a card, even though I don't know her last name. FYI I'm not good with names, It's better if I use your BYC name. 

There will be no fall Chickenstock I am changing my work schedule at the hospital and don't know when exactly it is going to happen so am unable to plan a weekend. I will be hosting my own chickenstock in the spring and will host one every year if other BYC members want to host one that is great just means more gatherings. My chickenstocks will not be just BYC members and if BYC members do not want to attend because of this that is fine.

As far as the Cold Springs Farm feed I am the dealer for the area so if you would like some pm me I have all there poultry feeds in stock.

Back
Top Bottom