NY chicken lover!!!!

Okay here's the deal.
I am absolutely heartbroken at this point.
I believe my flock has contracted Merek's...
Oh no Bakerz...This is terrible news. Is there somewhere around here you can have your birds tested at so you know definitely what you are daling with? They say it is highly contagious from wild birds, local flocks or tracking it home on your car tires, clothes or shoes....

I have been doing a lot of research on here lately because some of mine have a sneeze or high pitched cough...I think I am in doo doo too.

I think there are quite a few BYC Members on here with experience with that & a thread on breeding for resistence: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/894589/moving-forward-breeding-for-resistance-to-mareks-disease

Hugs to you...

@BakerzDozen So sorry to hear that :-(
I posted a link awhile ago about mareks and how the vaccine is making it a super bug, unvaccinated chickens are less likely to survive, how they can get it from vaccinated chickens. I read it after having two of mine get sick a couple weeks apart, lost a welsummer and a brownleghorn. I have both vaccinated and not together, the ones I lost were vaccinated. All signs looked like mareks. I was sure I was going to loose them all, I had just put $150 in SandHill birds with them, unvaccinated and neither are six sikies. That was a couple months ago and no more got sick, dodged a bullet somehow...
I hope you don't lose anymore.

Last edited:
I'm only an hour away from Binghamton. I went to Binghamton University when I went back for nursing school.

I'm thinking of adding some Easter eggers and Marans to the flock. I found some splash Marans close by, are their eggs still pretty dark brown?

So many awesome chickens I want!

I have a 4x8 coop with a 8x12 covered run, currently have 3 large fowl, 6 bantams. Do you guys think I should expand if I add more birds? They get out everyday in the yard too.

I think the more room the better. I did have 8 in a 8x16 coop 8x16 run, this summer it turned into 33. Culled some I didn't need to give them more room and moved my breedable giants and sussex to a 4x8 coop 14x50 run, nine of them. Looks like plenty of room, come spring I will be removing the sussex back to the big coop have to get rid of some of the older layers first, getting rid of a extra cockerel of each breed keeping just the best one of each, and it will be just one cockerel and two pullets of each breed. Have three pullets of sussex right now but I think I need to remove one before I start gathering hatching eggs, I've decided she is too dark and might be not worthy of breeding.
Before snow hits I hope to cover part of their run so they have some more room this winter during the daytime. You mention your run is covered, is it covered as in a top so no snow or rain gets in? If it is you could add plastic to the sides for winter, I'd leave part open for airflow. If you have that kind of set up I think it would be enough room for a few more if they have somewhere to go, something to do during the daytime.

Last edited:
From everything I have read and everything I have observed. I just have to wait it out... see who survives and breed resistance in those birds. if I chose to keep chickens anymore. If we lose too many of our favorites I may just euthanized the rest... canning the whole idea of chickens. Additionally I know my chickens will never be safe as Marek's because they already have a compromised immune system.

They worst thing about the form of Marek's they have is you can see it start a day or so ahead of time.... it starts with a slight wobble to their gate, the following day the wobble get worst with them occasionally tripping over themselves or at least that's what it looks like, the 3rd day the bird's left or right foot can no longer open to walk and if you touch the foot and toes they are limp and lifeless, the 4th day the other foot is affected and the side that was affected first has lost more ability, the nerve damage climbs up the birds extremities until it is flat out legs and wings splayed out but able to move its neck but unable to get to food or water,and defecates in place, the final day that I allowed my bird to live he was no longer able to move his neck but was able to blink, react to light and to my voice. I then cull Lyle at this point... soothing voice and such and repeated over and over "Never again".
I wasn't trying to be cruel but I felt I needed to watch the stages to see if it was the same disease affecting the other birds, it is, therefor if we see a staggering, wobbling chicken we know. Now we only let it get to one leg... we feed a wonderful last meal that the chicken thoroughly enjoys, then is brought to a place the others can't see and ...

If these chickens die off ... I may never own another chicken for as long as I live... but I know I will miss them because I really love their antics. I have wanted these chickens since forever, however, prior to this point I was a single mom and nurse. My hours were erratic at best. I only now got to the point where I actually have time for them. I would therefor have to get birds that are immunized. and I don't know if this is helping or hindering the spread of the disease.

I think the more room the better. I did have 8 in a 8x16 coop 8x16 run, this summer it turned into 33. Culled some I didn't need to give them more room and moved my breedable giants and sussex to a 4x8 coop 14x50 run, nine of them. Looks like plenty of room, come spring I will be removing the sussex back to the big coop have to get rid of some of the older layers first,  getting rid of a extra cockerel of each breed keeping just the best one of each, and it will be just one cockerel and two pullets of each breed. Have three pullets of sussex right now but I think I need to remove one before I start gathering hatching eggs, I've decided she is too dark and might be not worthy of breeding.
Before snow hits I hope to cover part of their run so they have some more room this winter during the daytime. You mention your run is covered, is it covered as in a top so no snow or rain gets in? If it is you could add plastic to the sides for winter, I'd leave part open for airflow. If you have that kind of set up I think it would be enough room for a few more if they have somewhere to go, something to do during the daytime.

Yes it's fully covered with slanted corrugated roofing so if I wrap the plastic around the outside they would have a snow free zone. I've got to get together my winter to do list for the coop. I'm thinking adding more hay in the coop for insulation. I have electricity to the coop so a light comes on for a few hours when it starts getting dark, and I ordered an aquarium heater for their water. I'm not planning on using a heat lamp.

From everything I have read and everything I have observed. I just have to wait it out... see who survives and breed resistance in those birds. if I chose to keep chickens anymore. If we lose too many of our favorites I may just euthanized the rest... canning the whole idea of chickens. Additionally I know my chickens will never be safe as Marek's because they already have a compromised immune system. 

They worst thing about the form of Marek's they have is you can see it start a day or so ahead of time.... it starts with a slight wobble to their gate, the following day the wobble get worst with them occasionally tripping over themselves or at least that's what it looks like, the 3rd day the bird's left or right foot can no longer open to walk and if you touch the foot and toes they are limp and lifeless, the 4th day the other foot is affected and the side that was affected first has lost more ability, the nerve damage climbs up the birds extremities until it is flat out legs and wings splayed out but able to move its neck but unable to get to food or water,and defecates in place, the final day that I allowed my bird to live he was no longer able to move his neck but was able to blink, react to light and to my voice. I then cull Lyle at this point... soothing voice and such and repeated over and over "Never again".
I wasn't trying to be cruel but I felt I needed to watch the stages to see if it was the same disease affecting the other birds, it is, therefor if we see a staggering, wobbling chicken we know. Now we only let it get to one leg... we feed a wonderful last meal that the chicken thoroughly enjoys, then is brought to a place the others can't see and ...

If these chickens die off ... I may never own another chicken for as long as I live... but I know I will miss them because I really love their antics. I have wanted these chickens since forever, however, prior to this point I was a single mom and nurse. My hours were erratic at best.  I only now got to the point where I actually have time for them. I would therefor have to get birds that are immunized.  and I don't know if this is helping or hindering the spread of the disease.

I'm so sorry ur going thru this. Sounds horrible. My heart goes out to u.

If these chickens die off ... I may never own another chicken for as long as I live... but I know I will miss them because I really love their antics. I have wanted these chickens since forever, however, prior to this point I was a single mom and nurse. My hours were erratic at best. I only now got to the point where I actually have time for them. I would therefor have to get birds that are immunized. and I don't know if this is helping or hindering the spread of the disease.

My heart goes out to you. I wish there was something I could do ....
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom