NY chicken lover!!!!

Hey, if anyone knows someone renting a chicken/pet friendly house/property over near albany (ish), send me a PM. Hubs wants to move closer to work but we're just putting out feelers to see if there's a rental where we can pack up and move for a year or so while selling our house - great credit, yada yada.

Has to allow cats and hopefully chickens - I guess if I had to live without chickens for a year I could - but not the cats! :)..

On another note, hoping to get eggs this weekend so I've cleaned (again) the bator and am warming it up!

Hi folks,

I have a hen setting on three eggs that should be hatching in the next day or two. How much time should I wait after the 21 days before I decide that they aren't going to hatch? Also, has anyone slipped day olds under a hen to break her from being broody?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi folks,

I have a hen setting on three eggs that should be hatching in the next day or two. How much time should I wait after the 21 days before I decide that they aren't going to hatch? Also, has anyone slipped day olds under a hen to break her from being broody?

Thanks,
Dave
I let them go 23 days then candle

@rancher hicks keep working at time down south. Maybe one of us close to you can keep a few pullets for you each year so after your trip you have fresh layers to keep for the season. As many of us that hatch regularly you might even be able to get a few breeds from a few of us. You could also put a cute little 6 chicken coop up in the yard down south that the grandkids could tend to while your up here.
I would like that but they have a dog and Shamus is very energetic. I don't like him. Plus they live in one of those developments and their yard is smaller than a postage stamp. But I will miss the chickens.

Munga (DW's name) and I have to travel while our bones can take the traveling. Even flying is not easy. Lord have mercy they cram you in tighter than a sardine can.

I'll at least keep chickens until Frenchy goes. I can't believe she's still laying. Goes to show you what can be if you have a good line of birds. This is why it's best to hatch your own birds. You can develop a hardy line that lives long.

Wasn't someone here looking for purple rose of Sharron? They are listed for free on binghamton Craigslist, they are in owe go and will be dug up for you when you get there.
Mine reseed everywhere so anyone coming by can stop and dig up some. They'll make a great hedge or look good in a hedge row. I have some blooming in my rustic fencing. Not what I want though.

Purple tie, could you share info and pics of the plastic coop? I am trying to make some small coops to separate the miserable roosters, and find that my scavenging ways that seem so cool and cheap are the source of building problems larger than I can overcome. In reality, this coop building works out when DH does it. He uses new materials and everything is square and plumb. The old dog house is none of those things, and is giving me fits. But, since it is mild, I dragged the dog crate Earl and Mama have been sharing in the basement outside and threw a tarp over it for last night! So nice, not to have roosters crowding IN the house! Maybe they can move in this afternoon.

Jumbo-Fontana-Chicken-Barn-ECHK503_B.jpg
I
I bought the New Age Fontana Chicken coop from Houzz- It was the cheapest. I paid about $380 shipped and they are sold out. Wayfair and others have it for over $400 shipped.

Right now it is in two good sized boxes under the pear tree to be put together. So far i like what I see...

Information
The Jumbo Fontana Chicken Barn features 12+ square feet of interior space for up to 12 birds. Includes nesting box that houses 3 divided nesting boxes. Made of ecoFLEX, a durable composite material that will not warp, crack, split or absorb moisture.
Features

• Made with ecoFLEX, a recycled wood/polymer blend that provides a non-toxic solution to your chicken raising needs
  • Resistant to moisture, warping, cracking and splitting
  • Maintenance Free
  • Removable roof for easy access and easy cleaning
  • 10 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty
Product Details
  • Frame Material: Other
  • Nesting Box Included: Yes
  • Pull-out Tray Included: No
  • Private Sleep Space: Yes
  • Levels: 1- Level
  • Chicken Capacity: 12
  • Assembly Required: Yes
  • Product Warranty: 10 Year
  • Weights & Dimensions
  • Overall: 40.6" H x 59.4" W x 46.3" D
  • Nesting Box: 16.5" H x 23.6" W x 38.4" D
  • Ramp: 6" H
  • Overall Product Weight: 123 lbs

Purple tie, could you share info and pics of the plastic coop? I am trying to make some small coops to separate the miserable roosters, and find that my scavenging ways that seem so cool and cheap are the source of building problems larger than I can overcome. In reality, this coop building works out when DH does it. He uses new materials and everything is square and plumb. The old dog house is none of those things, and is giving me fits. But, since it is mild, I dragged the dog crate Earl and Mama have been sharing in the basement outside and threw a tarp over it for last night! So nice, not to have roosters crowding IN the house! Maybe they can move in this afternoon.
They do have a smaller one too...I plan on putting them inside a 10 x 10 chain link enclosure.

Hi folks,

Thanks,
Dave
I slip chicks under my silkie all the time...she raises them as her own. She's an awesome broody!

Back
Top Bottom