NY chicken lover!!!!

I may have found out why my chickens are dying ..
I told my husband we have a ghetto deck ...
(he put a roof on it ...Tar-papered it & covered it with a plastic tarp a few years ago )
as of yesterday it has been hanging / dangling - ripped / shredded over the roof of the deck ..
iT HAS PROBABLY BEEN DOING THIS BEFORE IT CAME OVER THE SIDE
It is like paper to the touch ...little pieces of it are everywhere..1 string thickness or more ( all different lengths )
I think they could be ingesting them .....
He didnt think so ..but they peck the lawn & they are every where near the deck ..
I have to figure out how to clean them up tomorrow .
Today he got me a ladder and I climbed up on the roof & got that tarp off .
i KNOW ....iM SUPPOSE TO BE TAKING IT EASY rIGHT ?
BUT i AM THE BEST ONE TO DO IT ..i WAS CAREFUL ..
bOTH MY HUSBAND & SON HAVE BACK PROBLEMS ..
iT DOESNT HURT ME TO CLIMB A LADDER OR STAIRS
...AND i AM THE LIGHTEST ONE OF THE FAMILY TO BE ON A ROOF
mY HUBBY SPOTTED ME GOING UP & DOWN

aNYTHING fOR CHICKENS RIGHT ?

i ALSO THINK THE CAT ...
WAS THE ONE THAT CLEANED OFF THE mEAT ON THE NECK OF THE DEAD CHICKEN IN THE COOP
hE LOVES CHICKEN ...HE WILL EAT IT RAW ..
hE IS AFRAID OF LIVE CHICKENS ..THOUGH ...
tHIS EVE HE WENT INTO THE COOP AFTER EVERYONE ROOSTED ..
AND WENT RIGHT TO WHERE THE DEAD CHICKEN LAID ON sUNDAY
AND i SAW HIM MONDAY OVER WHERE WE BURIED THE CHICKEN SMELLING AROUND ..IT
LIKE HE WAS LOOKING FOR IT

sorry for the capitals ...im not really screaming

Last edited:
I have that problem too...i introduce them as my grand children

Lol!
Hey, just remembered something from my childhood, that plant you called 'plantain' you used for worming? Never heard it called that or used for that, I remember stepping on a nail when I was a kid almost right through my foot. Gramma put those leaves on my foot, definitely helped I think, never got infected and healed quick.

Regular chicken food - Usually 3 -4 days before it ferments ...make sure it has plenty of water & stir every day ..look for bubbles ..
and a yeasty smell..do not completely close it up ...as it can explode the top off or break a glass jar
Stir it ESP after it ferments ..as it reacts to the air on the top & will look like it is bad ...just re -stir the top in the mix
whole / cracked Grains - 5-7 days to ferment ..
If it needs 5-7 days then I am going to have to hit home depot for some homer buckets. Thank you.

I use tarps too and they are great when they are intact. I am always picking up the shreds from tarps.

Anyone heard about Cecil the chicken in Boston
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicken-to-get-3d-printed-prosthetic-leg-tufts/
no word on how it went in 2015

If I remember correctly, it went well and Cecily wnet on to live happily ever after....
smile.png

Oh plantain is a wonderful plant. An Onondaga friend told me to put it mushed up on stings or bites. Since I have read that it is good like that and also can be eaten like in salad it is very nutritious, and has healing properties. And most people want it out of their lawn. But, personally, with such a rusty nail injury I would want lots of modern medicine.

I am back to fermenting feed too. It took a few days for it to ferment to start, just feed an water, until it was bubbly. Then I put out some in the morning. If it is too soupy to ladle out I just add a little more dry to it. I never use it all up, add more feed and water to make it very liquid. Let it rest until the next day, and do it over again.

Yes that would be the coop. We have six pullets, but im pretty sure we will be rehoming at least two. We got a couple extension pens that hook on to the coop. The code enforcer will not allow free rang. The coop is going between a 6' fence and my house that are pretty close to together. There will be another fence same height behind lilac tree that will sit behind the coop.

Back
Top Bottom