NY chicken lover!!!!

Rancher, I got my entire flock from My Pet Chicken. A very healthy flock except for one who had a deformation of her tail. I started to notice his aggressiveness around four months of age. I read somewhere that comb size is connected to testosterone levels... well, his comb is huge... he's quite well combed.;)
He has attacked my toddler, my father, my 24 year old son, and me countless times. I always win, but have a good scar on my hand and a few bruises. He hates, HATES, if I wear flip flops... gee looks at my toes as if they are threatening... I should wear red nail polish. No I won't cull him. He's beautiful and doing his job very well. So, I have to be the responsible owner and keep him locked up if people are stopping by.
Anyway, the other hens are sweet except the deformed Delaware, she likes to peck me. My partridge rocks is overly intelligent, she has figured out how to get out of the chicken run, three times now... she was also my only chick to leave the brooder and sit in my lap.

Rancher, I got my entire flock from My Pet Chicken. A very healthy flock except for one who had a deformation of her tail. I started to notice his aggressiveness around four months of age. I read somewhere that comb size is connected to testosterone levels... well, his comb is huge... he's quite well combed.
wink.png

He has attacked my toddler, my father, my 24 year old son, and me countless times. I always win, but have a good scar on my hand and a few bruises. He hates, HATES, if I wear flip flops... gee looks at my toes as if they are threatening... I should wear red nail polish. No I won't cull him. He's beautiful and doing his job very well. So, I have to be the responsible owner and keep him locked up if people are stopping by.
Anyway, the other hens are sweet except the deformed Delaware, she likes to peck me. My partridge rocks is overly intelligent, she has figured out how to get out of the chicken run, three times now... she was also my only chick to leave the brooder and sit in my lap.

I started out my flock with MPC. I found them very pleasant and knowledgeable to deal with. Out of my original 12 I still have 5 left - and a couple of them still lay eggs!

Well, after yesterday's Chicken Stock, I'm totally hooked and will be def hatching my own eggs in the (hopefully near) future! It's so cool to have other chicken nuts right close by. Now the next Q is.....what kind should I try to get? My family is mostly in for the eggs (a LOT of eggs), Mom doesn't want to deal with processing meat birds really but I think it would be great to raise our own BBQ dinners. I have a lot of time to work out what would be best but I am hoping to get some great ideas.

Well, after yesterday's Chicken Stock, I'm totally hooked and will be def hatching my own eggs in the (hopefully near) future! It's so cool to have other chicken nuts right close by. Now the next Q is.....what kind should I try to get? My family is mostly in for the eggs (a LOT of eggs), Mom doesn't want to deal with processing meat birds really but I think it would be great to raise our own BBQ dinners. I have a lot of time to work out what would be best but I am hoping to get some great ideas.

Leghorns lay lots of eggs but can be flighty ..
for a 1st chicken I recommend red sex links or comets ...easy to care for lay lots of lg eggs

My red sex links lay great, but it can be difficult to add other birds in with them. Before I got them I heard that they are unwilling to accept new members to the flock. When I added my five grown up pullets in with my two sex link hens, they were very mean to them for a couple weeks. They still can be mean, especially to the two Buckeyes. I assume they became more accepting because the newcomers outnumbered them? I think maybe all my pullets are laying now, tho it's hard to tell, since I don't think they all lay on the same days. I've never gotten more than four baby eggs in one day. Unless one of the Buckeyes haven't started yet. But they're all squatting when I go to pick them up.

Well, after yesterday's Chicken Stock, I'm totally hooked and will be def hatching my own eggs in the (hopefully near) future!  It's so cool to have other chicken nuts right close by.  Now the next Q is.....what kind should I try to get?  My family is mostly in for the eggs (a LOT of eggs), Mom doesn't want to deal with processing meat birds really but I think it would be great to raise our own BBQ dinners.  I have a lot of time to work out what would be best but I am hoping to get some great ideas.  
find a really rare breed that looks (and taste) fabulous. I'm keeping my spitzhauben group and going to find 1 other rare. The reds I have as well as my whites will be freezer bound come fall. I want useful and rare.

Well, after yesterday's Chicken Stock, I'm totally hooked and will be def hatching my own eggs in the (hopefully near) future!  It's so cool to have other chicken nuts right close by.  Now the next Q is.....what kind should I try to get?  My family is mostly in for the eggs (a LOT of eggs), Mom doesn't want to deal with processing meat birds really but I think it would be great to raise our own BBQ dinners.  I have a lot of time to work out what would be best but I am hoping to get some great ideas.  

For both, eggs and meat, good breeder quality, Delaware's or German New Hampshire's. German New Hampshire's are our American breed before they went out of style during the start of the cornish cross, re-imported and better than what you can find from a hatchery.
I grew up with real Rhode Island Reds, great egg layers and meat birds also, the new hampshire's were rhode island reds that were bred more towards meat production and took on a different look / shape.
Right now I'm giving the naked necks a try, supposed to be the best tasting chicken according to the French. Also grow fairly fast because they don't put energy into feather production, and lay well also for the same reason. Feathers are made of protein.
The naked neck's I have right now are feathering out faster than any bird I've ever dealt with.
Edited to add, IMHO. ;-)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom