NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi all, I've been offline for some time due to health issues & missed Chickenstock, (dang it); I hope it was amazing...

*Will there be any more of that kind of get together this year? Swap meets, what-have-you... Anybody in the Binghamton area? I'm surrounded by non-chicken folk who do not "get it" and could use an enabler ;-) for chicken chat, etc. Please PM me, ok?

*Along similar lines, I have a very stubborn, very broody Bantam Wyandotte... and would be willing to have her hatch out some chicks for you if anybody is interested. I live in the 'No Rooster Zone' and can't really have any more chickens - though another banty Wyandotte hen or two would probably go un-noticed (Just in case any of you has this breed hatching eggs or 1 or 2 started pullets seeking a home)... so, same deal, please PM me.

Thanks,
Trish "Catmom"

Last edited:
I just started another round today. I also found out Mojo makes for beautiful babies but they have his feet. I made sure to mark his eggs, which was easy since it's just him and Girlie that mate in that coop. I think part of the lousy hatch problem for me is where the bator is. Jon has me set up in the mud room which is very high traffic and drafty. So this time I made a big box in the barn and put my bator in that. Seems to hold temp good and it's not drafty.
My Mojo/BCM mix, named Mojox, is the only surviving Mojo offspring here, so I didn't know about the foot heredity. I'm glad to hear he's fertile but sorry to hear about the toes. Mojox doesn't have troubled toes from what I can tell. Here she is (the black one).

My Mojo/BCM mix, named Mojox, is the only surviving Mojo offspring here, so I didn't know about the foot heredity. I'm glad to hear he's fertile but sorry to hear about the toes. Mojox doesn't have troubled toes from what I can tell. Here she is (the black one).

oh she is pretty. So maybe it is just a fluke. I will try again, maybe with another hen. He would look nice crossed to a rir.

Quote:
I've moved unhatched eggs to other broodies, and given the chicks that did hatch to other hens, too. And I've done all 3 ways Pyxis.
The 3rd way - is using what's called a creep feeder - I can't find a photo right now, but I pretty much made a fully enclosed rectangular pen
& just cut out a hole on the one side for the chicks to enter through. Welded wire would work too, but my adults would just reach their heads inside & eat the food anyways!

oh she is pretty. So maybe it is just a fluke. I will try again, maybe with another hen. He would look nice crossed to a rir.
My guess on the results of that cross: His cream gene would dilute the red of a rir, and they'd probably get a muff beard and crest. I'm not sure how light they'd be. Maybe this color?

They'd still lay brown or cream colored eggs. I don't completely understand the pattern genes so I could be way off.

My guess on the results of that cross: His cream gene would dilute the red of a rir, and they'd probably get a muff beard and crest. I'm not sure how light they'd be. Maybe this color?

They'd still lay brown or cream colored eggs. I don't completely understand the pattern genes so I could be way off.
as long as the offspring carry his temperament the color isn't too important. He is super easy on Girlie so I'm assuming with3 or 4 more spitzhauben wife's he'd be in heaven.

Back
Top Bottom