NY chicken lover!!!!

If I were younger things would be different. Then too you have to hatch out a lot to get the ones you want. If you just want eggs it's not big deal to have a lot of mixed. 

As it is I've got two hens that are broody still but their not getting any eggs. Now if Frenchy goes she gets whatever she wants. 

I didn't know there were others getting rid of their chickens. I'm really just downsizing. I'm not looking forward to winter but cooler weather will be nice. 

To: Everyone. 

So I thought it was a Squirrel, but it's a little Possum.  What do I do with it?  Do they bother the chickens?  I've never had one bother the chickens. 
Tao Chick is getting out of Barbanter, which I think are great, but I can't have them. I would have to sleep with them in the coop.

If I were younger things would be different. Then too you have to hatch out a lot to get the ones you want. If you just want eggs it's not big deal to have a lot of mixed. 

As it is I've got two hens that are broody still but their not getting any eggs. Now if Frenchy goes she gets whatever she wants. 

I didn't know there were others getting rid of their chickens. I'm really just downsizing. I'm not looking forward to winter but cooler weather will be nice. 

To: Everyone. 

So I thought it was a Squirrel, but it's a little Possum.  What do I do with it?  Do they bother the chickens?  I've never had one bother the chickens. 
as for hatching/ growing out a lot to get exactly what I want, no biggie I have a school 4 miles from me that I can put word out that I have extra birds for dirt cheap. Plus I have a guy who wants my extra males. He thinks they make great soup. No bird in my flock is ever "extra " I have uses or homes for them all. Plus the neighborhood like the free pest control.

Quote:
Not sure either, I've heard they can and will. Kinda like a skunk, they can and will also, if the opportunity presents itself. I shot a opossum in my coop a few yrs ago, thought about processing it but the DW wouldn't let me Lol! Threw it in the field next to us and our oldest DD got some pics of a bald eagle eating it the next day that was featured on WBNG TV news pic of the day.
Everyone else:

Take care folks, stayed tuned for my review of the NYS Fair. I'll try to get pics for those who don't make it. FYI, I hear there are no Delaware.
Hope you see nicer birds than I did between two fairs. Went to Morris (Otsego county?) and our Delaware county fair in Walton (probably the second best to the state) Donald Trump jr was at our fair the same day we were and I never noticed him, almost nobody did. Just was spending time with his family there and out of place and looked like everyone else, probably wouldn't have noticed if it was Ivanka at the fair if she wasn't all 'dolled up' and out of place. Girl that worked in our lab at work sat right next to him during the demolition derby and didn't know it until someone said so the next day and she checked out the pics he posted on his Facebook, pretty funny.
Anyway, Morris fair was OK, never been there before, was pretty big as far as small towns go, probably almost as big as ours but 'different'.
Poultry, not so good...RIRs were not, nothing stood out on the poultry except maybe one Sabastopol goose. There might have been one decent golden laced Wyandotte, but I'm no judge. Our fair, many more birds, there was many bantams they might have been OK, not a judge, did see a couple La Fleche. Usually see a few huge black jersey giants, was looking forward to it and there was none. Nicest maybe possible SOP to myself was a few chunks of bantam dark cornish, beautiful lacing and super little chunks.

Quote: Lol! Do you know how many you have? I gave up counting, took out seven today, need to take out double that, than maybe I can count and I doubt I have anywhere near how many you have. IDK? I don't count
cool.png
(those are blinders not sunglasses)

Last edited:
I'm pretty devastated right now. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in here but I have had my neighbor's five ducks and two turkey jakes coming over and eating all my feed because I'm guessing the neighbor isn't feeding them enough.

Well, today I didn't leave food out free choice for my birds like I usually do because I was sick of feeding the neighbor's birds and planned to feed mine in the coop tonight. The turkeys (I don't blame the turkeys for this, I want to say ahead of time, I blame the humans that have left them so hungry it drove them to do this) went into my coop and broke into my brooder area to eat the feed out of the chick feeders.

While in there, they trampled to death all my sultans but one, all of my AC chicks including the ones I had hatched from CJ's game eggs except one, several of my guinea keets, one of my baby turkeys, and one of my peachicks.

So sorry about your neighbors allowing their birds to destroy your birds. People can be the difficult part of any equation. I hope you can do something that will make you feel the situation has been rectified.

First of all Pyxis, I am so sorry and I would have been devastated!!!
Second, I am on my third try to hatch eggs under a broody... different Broody, Anna, this time.
They hatched a day early, so I called in. First was there early this morning and unabsorbed yolk... it is quarantined in the kitchen because Anna pecked at it. It is very vocal and strong... but what should I do...
Second chick just hatched cleanly, very nice shell cut right in half... it's under her... but I'm nervous now that I've had a hen peck a chick to death... third is still pipping...
Fourth is weird.... it is from the same laying day, but is not as far as the other eggs... it looks like it could use another week almost.... anyone ever had THAT happen?

Not sure either, I've heard they can and will. Kinda like a skunk, they can and will also, if the opportunity presents itself. I shot a opossum in my coop a few yrs ago, thought about processing it but the DW wouldn't let me Lol! Threw it in the field next to us and our oldest DD got some pics of a bald eagle eating it the next day that was featured on WBNG TV news pic of the day.
Hope you see nicer birds than I did between two fairs. Went to Morris (Otsego county?) and our Delaware county fair in Walton (probably the second best to the state) Donald Trump jr was at our fair the same day we were and I never noticed him, almost nobody did. Just was spending time with his family there and out of place and looked like everyone else, probably wouldn't have noticed if it was Ivanka at the fair if she wasn't all 'dolled up' and out of place. Girl that worked in our lab at work sat right next to him during the demolition derby and didn't know it until someone said so the next day and she checked out the pics he posted on his Facebook, pretty funny.
Anyway, Morris fair was OK, never been there before, was pretty big as far as small towns go, probably almost as big as ours but 'different'.
Poultry, not so good...RIRs were not, nothing stood out on the poultry except maybe one Sabastopol goose. There might have been one decent golden laced Wyandotte, but I'm no judge. Our fair, many more birds, there was many bantams they might have been OK, not a judge, did see a couple La Fleche. Usually see a few huge black jersey giants, was looking forward to it and there was none. Nicest maybe possible SOP to myself was a few chunks of bantam dark cornish, beautiful lacing and super little chunks.

Lol! Do you know how many you have? I gave up counting, took out seven today, need to take out double that, than maybe I can count and I doubt I have anywhere near how many you have. IDK? I don't count :cool: (those are blinders not sunglasses)
I had 163, lost 3 day old bantam, squashed 1 4 day old cx and processed 17 cx to the freezer. Oh and I forgot my broody hatched 8. So honestly I have no clue, lol chicken math sucks.

Lol! Do you know how many you have? I gave up counting, took out seven today, need to take out double that, than maybe I can count and I doubt I have anywhere near how many you have. IDK? I don't count :cool: (those are blinders not sunglasses)
maybe we can make a deal with processing, I have time and equipment and you are super busy.

Back
Top Bottom