NY chicken lover!!!!

i had one chick hatch like that it quickly died ..some dont make it .
sounds like a new one someone donated a egg to her  ...sometimes a broody will kick undeveloped ones out

Ahhh, I had wondered if that could be the case... so the original went into the food clutch and a new one took it's place and started to develop... my bad. I should have removed the other right away... the original marking had faded on all of them, so I remarked them to keep track... must have just marked it wrong... it was marked with a big fat ?

as for hatching/ growing out a lot to get exactly what I want, no biggie I have a school 4 miles from me that I can put word out that I have extra birds for dirt cheap. Plus I have a guy who wants my extra males. He thinks they make great soup. No bird in my flock is ever "extra " I have uses or homes for them all. Plus the neighborhood like the free pest control.

I've had folks to take the roosters but they're not wanting them now. DW actually said to me process them and "I'll make soup". I'm trying to empty the freezer so I can clean it out. It got unplugged for abit once and I'll like to clean it out and start over.

It's too late in the year to learn to process chickens.

Last edited:
Not sure either, I've heard they can and will. Kinda like a skunk, they can and will also, if the opportunity presents itself. I shot a opossum in my coop a few yrs ago, thought about processing it but the DW wouldn't let me Lol! Threw it in the field next to us and our oldest DD got some pics of a bald eagle eating it the next day that was featured on WBNG TV news pic of the day.
Hope you see nicer birds than I did between two fairs. Went to Morris (Otsego county?) and our Delaware county fair in Walton (probably the second best to the state) Donald Trump jr was at our fair the same day we were and I never noticed him, almost nobody did. Just was spending time with his family there and out of place and looked like everyone else, probably wouldn't have noticed if it was Ivanka at the fair if she wasn't all 'dolled up' and out of place. Girl that worked in our lab at work sat right next to him during the demolition derby and didn't know it until someone said so the next day and she checked out the pics he posted on his Facebook, pretty funny.
Anyway, Morris fair was OK, never been there before, was pretty big as far as small towns go, probably almost as big as ours but 'different'.
Poultry, not so good...RIRs were not, nothing stood out on the poultry except maybe one Sabastopol goose. There might have been one decent golden laced Wyandotte, but I'm no judge. Our fair, many more birds, there was many bantams they might have been OK, not a judge, did see a couple La Fleche. Usually see a few huge black jersey giants, was looking forward to it and there was none. Nicest maybe possible SOP to myself was a few chunks of bantam dark cornish, beautiful lacing and super little chunks.

Lol! Do you know how many you have? I gave up counting, took out seven today, need to take out double that, than maybe I can count and I doubt I have anywhere near how many you have. IDK? I don't count
cool.png
(those are blinders not sunglasses)

1. So I talked with a girl at the conservation booth at the fair, got some nice posters, but anyhow. She said you can't relocate any animals, legally. I think she said due to the rabies thing. Not that there are rabies only that they don't want you moving animals.

She did say though that if an animal is messing with your animals you can kill it. I asked her about the possum thing. She definitely was not a fan of squirrels. She gave me the impression should would have killed mine had I not.

Anyhow the possum is gone of course and I don't know if I'd do so if another gets caught.

2. I did not get to see the chickens but I am supposed to go again with my DD.

I did try the chocolate covered bacon. Yuk! Don't waste your money.

So I counted beaks. I have 150 chickens plus a duck. Plus I have 8 cats, 2 dogs and 5 kids. Any takers on some of the kids?? Lol.

I've been temped to get a cat, but seriously, how old are the kids? Kids keep you young. I'm headed over to pick up "the handsomest boy I know".

I asked him "who is the handsomest boy I know?" and he hits is chest and says "this". He's so cute.

Good point, Rancher. Poor schmucks like me who live in rooster-free zones will just have to wait for pullets.
1f61c.png

1f600.png

re:State Fair... I hear it's a mad house. But I really want to go on one of the days they have poultry competition judging show... Whatever you call it.
1f615.png

Keep me in mind when the time comes. Things around here ebb and flow. The number goes up and down.

I've talked so a judge or two at the fair but never show. I worry about bringing home problems. Some years the birds looked really bad. In your case you might want to consider being a judge as they're getting older. There is no money in it though. In my opinion the bigger money prize the more competition. They may need more sponsors but that takes time and work that chicken folks don't have.

Does anyone in the Saratoga/Ballston Spa area have any experience with treating Ascites? I think my bantam hen may have it and would be willing to try and drain her belly, but I'm just not comfortable with trying it on my own.

This is breaking my heart. I know the prognosis isn't great for Ascites, even if it gets drained regularly, but taking her to the vet isn't in the realm of financial possibilities right now and I feel like I have to try *something* before making the judgement call to put her down. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Does anyone in the Saratoga/Ballston Spa area have any experience with treating Ascites? I think my bantam hen may have it and would be willing to try and drain her belly, but I'm just not comfortable with trying it on my own.

This is breaking my heart. I know the prognosis isn't great for Ascites, even if it gets drained regularly, but taking her to the vet isn't in the realm of financial possibilities right now and I feel like I have to try *something* before making the judgement call to put her down. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you sure this is what's going on? I wouldn't treat it unless you are certain. Have you got any pics.

Back
Top Bottom