NY chicken lover!!!!

Well they can possibly make a variance so I can at least have a bit bigger coop and a few more chickens. It's $50 to do it! But it's worth it. So I'll be looking for some smaller chickens. Any suggestions of good bantams let me know! I've had silkies, seramas and Cochins before

I've been considering dumping my Birchen for a Copper. My line as copper in it anyway and I'm not getting fertile eggs. I've never had good luck hatching with an incubator. The hens did better, but this rooster just isn't getting the job done.

Do they even show marans? I didn't see any at the fair?

good question rancher! I have yet to see at fairs also...
the shows in reference were the marans club usa. i just looked up winners of darkest eggs/or who is local thru the years and then contacted...

http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/February2014ShowResults.htm
l
chick was shipped from texas...older birds from CT are pictured below. This rooster is super friendly..

The lady in CT was nice enough to offer me some extras in addition to the dozen marans I purchased, I decided to only grab 3 eggs that were bichens but ended up with a nice set which you can see to the right in the picture below. Yes, they run to greet me when i get home lol!

Last pic! this is the guy i already have, i got his parents from a ny chickenstock :)

also rancher, im not sure the coppers are easier to hatch! we had a hell of a time figuring it out because the shells are so hard. We eventually started weighing them and were able to get a better rate, up 33% using backyard eggs to 66% with the shipped eggs from tx. I hear a lot of people say they arent easy to hatch. I read up here but then eventually decided to weigh them http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/

and 2 more links

Last edited:
Well they can possibly make a variance so I can at least have a bit bigger coop and a few more chickens. It's $50 to do it! But it's worth it. So I'll be looking for some smaller chickens. Any suggestions of good bantams let me know! I've had silkies, seramas and Cochins before

I'm so sorry u have to downsize. There are tho lots of stunning bantams out there. I've oogled at Birchen modern games, silver laced barnevelders, blue mottled Japanese, olandisk dwarf... I've mostly avoided banties bc they seem much easier for the Hawks to carry off. Hopefully u don't have as many Hawks as we do out in the boonies.

I get a kick out of watching my black Japanese bantam. I had two but a predator early this spring made of with one of my banties and 2 of my bigger birds.

I'm so sorry u have to downsize. There are tho lots of stunning bantams out there. I've oogled at Birchen modern games, silver laced barnevelders, blue mottled Japanese, olandisk dwarf... I've mostly avoided banties bc they seem much easier for the Hawks to carry off. Hopefully u don't have as many Hawks as we do out in the boonies.

I get a kick out of watching my black Japanese bantam. I had two but a predator early this spring made of with one of my banties and 2 of my bigger birds.

I have looked at Japanese bantams! I'll do my research and figure out what to do in the spring. I don't have a hawk problem so I think they'll be good. I loved my polish, so I'm thinking I need a polish bantam

$50 for xis and $100 for evlewt. ? <- what are these ?
barnie.gif
Sorry should have said $50 for a permit to keep sic chciekns and $100 for a permit to keep twellve chieknstn'. Is that beter?
caf.gif

Last edited:
I have looked at Japanese bantams! I'll do my research and figure out what to do in the spring. I don't have a hawk problem so I think they'll be good. I loved my polish, so I'm thinking I need a polish bantam
let me know when your ready. I think I have several bantam breeds, I also have 2 super sweet spitzhorn girls. They are both very small for some reason. I have a collection of all sorts of breeds. Plus I'm ordering more in early spring.

good question rancher! I have yet to see at fairs also...
the shows in reference were the marans club usa. i just looked up winners of darkest eggs/or who is local thru the years and then contacted...

http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/February2014ShowResults.htm
l
chick was shipped from texas...older birds from CT are pictured below. This rooster is super friendly..

The lady in CT was nice enough to offer me some extras in addition to the dozen marans I purchased, I decided to only grab 3 eggs that were bichens but ended up with a nice set which you can see to the right in the picture below. Yes, they run to greet me when i get home lol!

Last pic! this is the guy i already have, i got his parents from a ny chickenstock :)

also rancher, im not sure the coppers are easier to hatch! we had a hell of a time figuring it out because the shells are so hard. We eventually started weighing them and were able to get a better rate, up 33% using backyard eggs to 66% with the shipped eggs from tx. I hear a lot of people say they arent easy to hatch. I read up here but then eventually decided to weigh them http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/

and 2 more links

When I first got mine, the broody hen did five of six. Better than I did with the incubator. The do lay eggs with harder shells. My first four hens laid very well in the winter. I try to keep two roosters and did have two but the first rooster I had, with crooked toes by the way died suddenly for some unknown reason. He was fine, but twenty minutes later he was dead. Now I struggling to get fertile eggs.

Hi all. It's been awhile since I've been on. My town passed a law that you can have 6 chickens, no roosters. Unfortunately they have set outrageous setbacks for where the coop has to be and I can't keep my current set up as my coop is a bit of a chicken mansion.

It looks like my only options are to have a much smaller coop with a few bantams or use part of my garage as a coop. So a friend of mine has my current flock...which was very upsetting! My chickens are my children.

So I'll have to get some bantams this spring because I can't be without chickens!

Hope you all have been well!
Darn. I empathize, I live in Binghamton city limits and fall under that 4-hens limit... and an informal don't ask/don't tell neighborhood pact, (they love my eggs).

Is it possible that your coop could be "Grandfathered In" since it predates the ordinance? It just doesn't seem reasonable or right that you should have to give up your birds as a result of the law being changed after the fact.

I have chicken friends in TN who originally adopted some of my birds for this very reason. They lived in a former one-cow town that suddenly blossomed into a bedroom community for Nashville. It got a little insane, the guy in the middle of their cul-de-sac had a small barn built and got a donkey, llama and some geese! My friends had just over 2 acres and this was about average for their area, but knowing that developers were lobbying hard for a change in property use designation, they got busy building their poultry interest from a "maybe someday" thing into a "we do this now or they're going to take it away from us" situation. Fortunately their property had an old tobacco barn on it, which was still used for agricultural function: it's where just harvested tobacco is hung up to dry and cure - absolutely nothing to do with the birds whatsoever. What counted was that before the ordinance changed, they had several coops and runs and had started raising and breeding several types of heritage chickens and Red Bourbon (?) Turkeys.

I'm happy to report that when the shtuff went down their heritage chicken and turkey hobby/mini business _was_ grandfathered "so long as said property is owned and occupied by the current owner/family."
Best of luck to you in this crappy situation. On a brighter note: I have broody-hatched bantam "Ameraucanas"/EE's (depending on how they color out), if you want some Littles ~they all hatched out of extraordinarily blue eggs I got from a breeder in KY (over eBay). Pics asap. They are 2 months old this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom