NY chicken lover!!!!

I'm really excited for my flocks to start laying consistently. Then my incubator will be running non stop for months, lol!

Here are my coops and what I'll have available. I already have some orders to fill and will fill pick up orders first. Again I'm in 14701.

I have a Blue Copper Marans rooster over a Black Copper Marans hen so will have both Blue and Black Copper Marans chicks. They are $8 straight run.

In this coop I also have a Barred Rock for Blue /Black Sexlinks, Cream Legbar for Olive Sexlinks, and a Jersey Giant for free range meat birds.

I have Crested Cream Legbars that are auto sexing (every generation is sexable at hatch) blue egg layers. They are $10 each.

From this coop I'll also have 2 kinds of green egg layers that'll be Sexlinks. Buff Columbian(top) and Golden Laced (bottom) They are $3 for hens and $1 for roosters (both will be good but I'm especially excited for the Buff Columbian rooster mixes)

My Blue Cochin rooster is a BIG boy! He's over a white Cochin hen so I'll hatch both blue and white. They are $8 straight run. Cochins are high on the broody breed list and are great mothers.

In this coop I also have a Barred Rock for Cochin Sexlink mixes. Other hens I have in there but not sure I'm going yo hatch are: Salmon Favorelle, Black Auatralorp, and Blue Polish.

I do have Bantams. They are extremely broody too. They are $3 straight run.

In limited supply I'll have some of my brother-in-law's eggs to hatch.
Jubilee Orpingtons are $10 straight run. The nice thing about them is that males feather in with more white until a big molt at 6 months and then they look normal. In my opinion, they're mostly eye candy.

Welsh Harlequin ducks. Straight run. I'm not sure on price yet. And Toulouse geese straight run. Not sure on price.

The color on the ducks wing tip changes color depending on angle of light.

I will also have some Barred Rocks. They are great because they can be sexed by 2 weeks and are used to make Sexlinks.

I can pretty much get any breed from my WNY Chicken Peeps group and hatch them out but those type of orders would have to wait until summer, lol.

I just tallied my year. I spent 3x what I made on chickens. I have 18 great hens. My roo is great and his 2 sons are ok. Now to come up with 2017 goals based on what I've learned from 2016.

Thank you to the few of you who have offered up chicks or roos. After a lot of talking, I think we are going to change gears from more colorful eggs to trying a few birds we can put in the freezer to see if we want to raise our own meat birds. We are thinking of dual purpose types like red rangers, delaware, or dark cornish, but aren't 100% sure yet.

It's tough to decide what direction to take our flock!

Quote: In 2016 my flock paid for their food and bedding, building my two cabinet "coolerbators", but I still had to pay for other things I purchased to "improve" or repair things, more fencing I haven't used yet.
But, I did built quite a few pasture pens out of hardware cloth/ rabbit cage wire that I'd purchased a few years ago when I was definitely running "in the red" - yet it helped that the wood was all free/recycled.
But overall, my chickens are my biggest "expense" currently! LOL

On another note, I never told you all what happened on Nov 20th when we had that "big" snowstorm. It had rained, so turned to ice on the aviary netting, causing the wet, heavy snow to cling to the aviary netting (2 inch holes) that I have over my chicken yard. It collapsed, so I couldn't access my chicken coops without removing the snow from the netting! I finally had time to write & upload photos of the "event" to my blog, if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom