NY chicken lover!!!!

If I lived farther out into the country, I'd have gone for keeping one rooster and xis hens of each breed I wanted. As it is I don't buy chicks. I let the hens hatch last year and may buy a new incu.  I've considered switching out for new breeds. Javas and Buckeyes. In this area few folks really care about breeds. They just want chickens of any kind. 

Too, I'm probably going to get some more Blue Swedish ducks. Lots of plans and dreams but not enough money.  Story of my life. :hit     

Buckeyes are great. As far as i know nobody in this area has them. Wish I had room for some. I see them at rare auction sites, or on the buckeye fb page- eggs plus shipping. They are the only breed created by a woman and super hardy.

Buckeyes are great. As far as i know nobody in this area has them. Wish I had room for some. I see them at rare auction sites, or on the buckeye fb page- eggs plus shipping. They are the only breed created by a woman and super hardy.
I just figured I might try them. I do like them but never had enough room. I'd probably give up the Marans.

forgot. While sitting on the porch soaking up the sun, i saw a Honey bee. is it to early for them? I know it was not a yellow jacket. Anyone setting up hives this year. TSC is in the business now.

I officially have an Olive Egger. She is a cross between my BCM hen and Ameraucana rooster. :D

Would you be so kind as to post a pic of your hen? I've got two BCM americauna crosses in our grow out and are wondering what they will look like when grown! Thank you!!!!

I saw a bee too ...Not a good time of year for them to be out ..

yep - they were out on cleansing flights d/t warm weather. A bee landed on my hand, so I assumed it was a messenger from the queen, made up some sugar water and went down to the hive & knocked on the door. No-one answered, so I peeked inside.....few bees, all dead honey in the comb....
sad.png
. The only thing I can think of is the straw bales I put up for protection were full of pesticides
barnie.gif
. The only positive thing was a mouse had moved in and was busy eating her way through the honey...she'll soon be diabetic....
hmm.png

yep - they were out on cleansing flights d/t warm weather. A bee landed on my hand, so I assumed it was a messenger from the queen, made up some sugar water and went down to the hive & knocked on the door. No-one answered, so I peeked inside.....few bees, all dead honey in the comb....
sad.png
. The only thing I can think of is the straw bales I put up for protection were full of pesticides
barnie.gif
. The only positive thing was a mouse had moved in and was busy eating her way through the honey...she'll soon be diabetic....
hmm.png

What does " all dead honey " mean ? curious

forgot. While sitting on the porch soaking up the sun, i saw a Honey bee. is it to early for them?  I know it was not a yellow jacket.  Anyone setting up hives this year. TSC is in the business now. 

I saw a bee too ...Not a good time of year for them to be out ..

yep - they were out on cleansing flights d/t warm weather. A bee landed on my hand, so I assumed it was a messenger from the queen, made up some sugar water and went down to the hive & knocked on the door. No-one answered, so I peeked inside.....few bees, all dead honey in the comb....:( . The only thing I can think of is the straw bales I put up for protection were full of pesticides :barnie . The only positive thing was a mouse had moved in and was busy eating her way through the honey...she'll soon be diabetic....:/ .  

Yes, good day for cleansing flights. Gramma & Rancher, honey bees don't poop in their hives, so mid-winter thaws are important to get out to poop. Long, cold winters losses are more often due to dysentery or not being able to move to the next frame of honey, less from the cold itself.
The mouse may have been cause of loss on that one. Hubby could see activity from at least one hive today, not sure on the other 5. I'm worried a couple got too damp with the amount of blowing snow we had.

Back
Top Bottom