NY chicken lover!!!!

I have a brood on some eggs right now and they were supposed to hatch yesterday. This morning I went out to check on them and two of the eggs were smashed flat and the babies didn't make it. I don't see pips on any of the other ones. I feel so sad for her. This was her first attempt to being a mom. What should I do now?

I have a brood on some eggs right now and they were supposed to hatch yesterday. This morning I went out to check on them and two of the eggs were smashed flat and the babies didn't make it. I don't see pips on any of the other ones. I feel so sad for her. This was her first attempt to being a mom. What should I do now?
They could be a little late, so don't give up on them yet. If none hatch, you can either try to break her broodiness, give her chicks or more eggs. Though some hens decide to stop on their own if their eggs don't hatch.

They could be a little late, so don't give up on them yet. If none hatch, you can either try to break her broodiness, give her chicks or more eggs. Though some hens decide to stop on their own if their eggs don't hatch.
Should I take the ones that are left and try to finish them in the incubator? Or just leave them with her and hope she doesn't smash the rest?

Broody mama jumped off the nest when I tossed the crew some treats (she's a partridge rock, not a speckled Sussex like I thought). I took the opportunity to candle her eggs real quick.

I put 11 eggs from my silkie hen under the rock - some were almost 2 weeks old, so I wasn't expecting much. One blood ring. 14 good eggs.

Apparently my hens also suffer from chicken math.

IMG_8230.JPG
IMG_8229.JPG

Is anybody up for a round of "name that chick"?

Here are photos I took yesterday off the 3 surviving chicks my Banty Broodies hatched out of eggs from Chickengirl15...

the big black chick hatched out of either a light brown or a green egg... (I think this is BCM over Australorp, {it's hatch-twin, an equally large chick that looked the same but came from the EE egg, was the one that passed away one night a couple weeks ago}. I'm concerned this might be a cockerel, but with that cross, I'd expect a huge chick - am I wrong,?)

the smaller black chick has a ton of copper or partridge showing through & came from a coppery colored, presumed-Welsumer egg... (I think it is BCM over Welsummer & hope it is not a male, though I'm starting to worry).

the chipmunk striped chick came from a Welsummer like egg & has a 1-row pea comb (Yay pullet!), Willow green legs.
I'm pretty sure of the Chippy as an Ameraucana over Welsummer Pullet, because of the features noted, but as for the others... I'm willing to crowdsource this!
What sex & mixes do you think these are and why?
***Pics also show the Bantam Menace Mamma's: red Cochin, "Cornelia" & buffish columbianish Wyandotte, "Chickanary".

Thanks in advance, everybody!
Stay alive & chicken!
IMG_20170522_192032.jpg
IMG_20170522_205245.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_193603.jpg
    IMG_20170522_193603.jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20170522_192500.jpg
    IMG_20170522_192500.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 3
I seen this picture and just had to share with Rancher, because I know you don't have Facebook. It was posted by Chicken Chat, which is P. Allen Smith sponsored by Purina (just to clarify where it came from). Naked Neck Silkie!!!
That there is probably the only reason I would have either of the breeds: "Showgirls" just look cool as heck in that ugly/cute punky/edgy sort of way.
***Chickens at Hot Topic!***:cool:

We had a pile of worms last year, I did use Ivermectin then repeated 10 days later. Scarred for life. EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!
sickbyc.gif
[/QUOTE]

True dat! I had my first experience with this last month... A pullet on her first manic broody episode made a gigantic mess in the crate/broody box I had put her in to break the mood. Gross.
She broke alright! I dewormed the whole flock and now I'm pumping up the protein in their diet.

Back
Top Bottom