NY chicken lover!!!!

True dat! I had my first experience with this last month... A pullet on her first manic broody episode made a gigantic mess in the crate/broody box I had put her in to break the mood. Gross.
She broke alright! I dewormed the whole flock and now I'm pumping up the protein in their diet.[/QUOTE]
There are natural options ...besides Medicine ..put Cayenne Pepper in their food / treat or red pepper flakes..<-as these are mostly seeds they will eat every one ..( Supposedly chickens have no heat receptors in their mouth) it doesnt bother mine at all . No withdrawal period on the eggs ...but I suppose you can feed them back to the chickens when you cant eat them :rolleyes:

Is anybody up for a round of "name that chick"?

Here are photos I took yesterday off the 3 surviving chicks my Banty Broodies hatched out of eggs from Chickengirl15...

Thanks in advance, everybody!
Stay alive & chicken!
View attachment 822103 View attachment 822197 ...

I'm going to say that first big black chick is roo, those are some thick legs. The second brown-black chick could go either way. The spangled looking chick looks pullet from the comb, but hard telling.

I'm going to say that first big black chick is roo, those are some thick legs. The second brown-black chick could go either way. The spangled looking chick looks pullet from the comb, but hard telling.
@CatMom - my vote for the chicks is the same, with the brown/black with the brown/black one leaning towards too. By 8-10 weeks old, it should be very obvious.

How is it possible that not a single egg from my brood hatched? I thought this would be easier than incubating. Im so discouraged. They were supposed to hatch monday night and i still see nothing. Should i assume they're all dead? She smashed the two a few days ago that looked very developed minus the smashed part but not a single egg even pipped.

How is it possible that not a single egg from my brood hatched? I thought this would be easier than incubating. Im so discouraged. They were supposed to hatch monday night and i still see nothing. Should i assume they're all dead? She smashed the two a few days ago that looked very developed minus the smashed part but not a single egg even pipped.

Did you candle all the eggs at some point to make sure they were fertile and developing? When were the eggs put under her? There is a water-test method, I haven't tried, to see if the eggs are still alive or not.

Sorry been so quiet all - roofing problems and getting back on new and improved site problems. All settled now.

FINALLY got the Marans into their breeder pen - about 6 weeks behind schedule !! Sheesh. If I missed anything any of you want me to know in the last 3 weeks - just let me know - otherwise - I'll be picking up the thread from here.

Did you candle all the eggs at some point to make sure they were fertile and developing? When were the eggs put under her? There is a water-test method, I haven't tried, to see if the eggs are still alive or not.
I put them under her late evening May 1st. She's in a tractor type thing and on the ground There is about 6 inches of bedding under her but I'm more than positive that they got cold or wet. I'm going to give up on this hatch and set up a different brood home to see if that helps. I'm giving this mama a break and will try again later.

Hi guys. I'm Peggy and I live about 20 miles south of Ithaca, NY. Right now I'm down sizing my girls for the winter, but usually have about 25 to 35 chickens. Fell in love with Blue Cochins, they seem to handle our weather very well. I have a variety of different chickens, BR, Cochins, Royalle Faverole,EE, NHR, white Giant, Wyandotte, Shaver Red, Buff Orp., Austrolorp,Speckled sussex, that's it for now but am always adding more!!!!!
roll.png
Hello I would be interested in an EE. I just recently lost one.

Back
Top Bottom