NY chicken lover!!!!

We have had Spring weather here for a few days. TODAY IT IS SNOWING AND SNOWING....LOTS OF SNOW...trees are covered,
roads are covered. WINTER is back.

Same here, I have been able to let mine out every day this week but today it was snowing and they were POed and complaining that I shut the coop door this morning after feeding and watering them.

I have been seeing a lot of flocks of birds around and yesterday the corn fields had some large flocks of geese. That should be a good sign. Just waiting on my first robin sighting. It does need to get above freezing at night quicker though. I have 2 groups of chicks in the coop now so I had to take the heated water bowl out because I didn’t want anyone to fall in but now I have to bring all the waters in at night so they don’t freeze.

I have been seeing a lot of flocks of birds around and yesterday the corn fields had some large flocks of geese. That should be a good sign. Just waiting on my first robin sighting. It does need to get above freezing at night quicker though. I have 2 groups of chicks in the coop now so I had to take the heated water bowl out because I didn’t want anyone to fall in but now I have to bring all the waters in at night so they don’t freeze.
Spring is here we hope

Hope everyone is well. We are on day 5 with no power and another storm to hit tonight. We have a generator but were unable to save the developing eggs in the incubators. Such a sad loss. I managed to save the chicks brooding in my basement and barley saved my sons goldfish who literally went belly up. Hope everyone is having better luck then us. Sending good thoughts and prayers.

Hope everyone is well. We are on day 5 with no power and another storm to hit tonight. We have a generator but were unable to save the developing eggs in the incubators. Such a sad loss. I managed to save the chicks brooding in my basement and barley saved my sons goldfish who literally went belly up. Hope everyone is having better luck then us. Sending good thoughts and prayers.

Oh no Cuti, sorry to hear no power for 5 days, what a nightmare, hope it comes back on soon. Sad about the incubator egg loss too.

We had a crazy 20 inches of snow here nr Buffalo overnight last Thu into Fri (my pink fabric cutting board was the handiest thing to measure snow, and top white line is 16 inches) some big branches from the pine trees snapped off, luckily away from the house. Power flickered on and off throughout the morning, so lit the log fire before heading into work for the pm. Was very relieved snow had pretty much stopped, and roads cleared by lunchtime.

20180302_062722.jpg

Chickens didn't seem to mind being shut inside the coop, had some yoghurt for a treat - Ginger dived in so enthusiastically she ended up wearing most of it! We also had our first 4 egg day of the year over the weekend, one from each chicken.

20180302_081139.jpg

20180304_153550.jpg

A lot of the snow has melted, but it snowed a little today, and we have snow showers in the forecast for the next 3 days......

Finally random enquiry - do any of you give your chickens chickpeas? A coworker brought me a 1/2 tray of leftover salad which has chickpeas in it from a family party, I've fed them salad leaves and cucumber before, but never chickpeas...

I am super unexcited for this storm tomorrow. I’m over snow and ready for spring! My girls have wrecked my house-side garden since it’s the only dirty/grassy place which is fine but i now have to figure out how to keep them out of my veggie gardens come spring. They have an 8/10 ft coop and a 10/13 ft run (i think those are the measurements) they just love to free range and i don’t blame them. I currently have 6 large fowl, 1 bantam Cochin and 7 Silkies. The Silkies rarely leave the run/coop. The Cochin is hit or miss. I also have 8 Serama eggs in the incubator on day 9. Just candled them and they’re all active! Worried about a power outage although we don’t tend to lose power in storms...

Back
Top Bottom