NY chicken lover!!!!

Does anyone have lavander Orpingtons? Looking for 2 hens for pets. Would like good qualita breeder. I am in N.Y. up near the Canadian border. Plattsburgh, N.Y. 12901. Thank you.

Oh no Cuti, sorry to hear no power for 5 days, what a nightmare, hope it comes back on soon. Sad about the incubator egg loss too.

We had a crazy 20 inches of snow here nr Buffalo overnight last Thu into Fri (my pink fabric cutting board was the handiest thing to measure snow, and top white line is 16 inches) some big branches from the pine trees snapped off, luckily away from the house. Power flickered on and off throughout the morning, so lit the log fire before heading into work for the pm. Was very relieved snow had pretty much stopped, and roads cleared by lunchtime.

View attachment 1286373

Chickens didn't seem to mind being shut inside the coop, had some yoghurt for a treat - Ginger dived in so enthusiastically she ended up wearing most of it! We also had our first 4 egg day of the year over the weekend, one from each chicken.

View attachment 1286377

View attachment 1286380

A lot of the snow has melted, but it snowed a little today, and we have snow showers in the forecast for the next 3 days......

Finally random enquiry - do any of you give your chickens chickpeas? A coworker brought me a 1/2 tray of leftover salad which has chickpeas in it from a family party, I've fed them salad leaves and cucumber before, but never chickpeas...
Wow! 20 inches! Glad you didn’t get more damage and the chickens are doing well in spite of it all. We are now on day 7 with no power but other nearby areas have power. The elementary school just opened back up with a delay today but the high school is still closed because they still have no power. As for chickpeas I have fed it to my chickens and they were fine but I never looked it up before I did.

Well I'm still kicking. DW sleeping. Taken time off work now that she's home. Nothing new on the chicken front, though they're laying good. Looks to be one of the barred ee's is an olive egger. I don't know which. I thought they'd not lay colored eggs since they both have non black legs.
None have gone broody yet, but I expect it any day.
Have not been to TSC since I don't get out much. Friend comes everyday pretty much and DD's been here too. PT and Nurse finally came. We shall see how things go.
I hate this cold more than ever and DD in texas has looked at houses with in law apartments. AND not only that they've opened a Starbucks near by AND they're putting in a TSC!! Satan is tricky though so I won't take that as a sign to move south and leave the church. Unless my pastor gives the thumbs up.
Still no official word from the doc on DW as to how long. Not something I want to broach. Some days are better than others.
We have been getting her out of bed into a wheel chair so that has been encouraging. Cancer is such a horrible disease. Please if you smoke quit, if you don't don't start. Don't self diagnose and for heavens' sake don't look for answers on FB. Talk to your doctor! Get your exams regularly. DW didn't smoke or drink or do drugs, but here we are.

Take care folks and please be well.

Rancher.

I'm glad I decided to check in today after several months. Rancher, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife and family. Cancer is horrible and claimed many of my family members. May you find strength, comfort, and peace during this tough time.

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in ages. I'll try to catch up eventually. I just listed my Penedesenca quad on craigslist (downsizing this year to focus on garden and preparing a place for ducks next year) and was thinking about you all and chicken stock. My flock and family are well.

Anyone's want to summarize the happenings of the group?

Wow! 20 inches! Glad you didn’t get more damage and the chickens are doing well in spite of it all. We are now on day 7 with no power but other nearby areas have power. The elementary school just opened back up with a delay today but the high school is still closed because they still have no power. As for chickpeas I have fed it to my chickens and they were fine but I never looked it up before I did.

I am in Prattsburgh up on top of a hill and we also got hammered last week with 20". It drifted in places so walking between coops was up to my hips! It took us 2 days to plow out using a snowblower, 4wheeler with plow and our big tractor. too heavy to shovel. We live off grid and use solar so at least we never lose power.

Anyone within about an hour of Buffalo got any blue laying hatching eggs? Not EE, true blue egg genetics needed. Or Olive eggers might be fun. Looking to get some this weekend if I can find some.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom