NY chicken lover!!!!

Kat
hi John, I just saw your post... the guy that I got the eggs from got rid of all of his chickens this past fall. Sorry. But, I have 4 roos from his eggs that I would be willing to give you to start with. They are currently free ranging, just hanging out in the lean-to with the horses. They are not mean but are also really not handled. They are either a brahma or langshan mix (that's what his 2 roosters were)... 3 look like barred rock coloring, 1 is copper/black... all are very pretty... all have some feathering on their legs and feet. They are excellent for keeping the poo in the pasture broke up and eating bugs, but I don't want any roosters here. The hens will do that just fine. This pic is 2 months ago, they have grown a bit since then. They are very large.

Kat thanks so much for the offer! Can't keep roosters here, unfortunately :(

Kat

Kat thanks so much for the offer! Can't keep roosters here, unfortunately :(
I understand. I don't think I'll hatch out any more eggs because out of the 11 that hatched, 5 were roos. I cannot kill them, myself, to put in the freezer, so it's been a challenge to find a new home for them. If you hear of anyone that would be interested, let me know.

Also, after raising 2 sets of chicks, one set of days-old red sex links from tractor supply and one set hatched, I would consider ones from agway that are older... less time worrying about keeping them warm, less time to wait for eggs and better idea of M/F... just a thought.

I understand. I don't think I'll hatch out any more eggs because out of the 11 that hatched, 5 were roos. I cannot kill them, myself, to put in the freezer, so it's been a challenge to find a new home for them.
I cant kill them either ..so I understand the problem ...I had 9 chicks that my hens hatched ..6 were Roos 3 were hens ..I was able to sell them .. all on craigslist finally ...
They were someone elses eggs . The roo I decided to keep is somewhat handicapped..And is not a aggressive Mater..So all my eggs were not fertile .My own eggs have never had that high roos count . I dont know if it makes a difference or not but I give them apple cider vinegar with Mother ... in their water ..

Also, after raising 2 sets of chicks, one set of days-old red sex links from tractor supply and one set hatched, I would consider ones from agway that are older... less time worrying about keeping them warm, less time to wait for eggs and better idea of M/F... just a thought.
There are advantages to buying them ...but I like watching the hens hatch and watching them raise the chicks

Hi! I'm from the Hudson Valley! I lost a large number of chickens last summer to a coyote and I'm looking to restock this spring. I'm looking for hatchery recommendations that do a good job delivering to NY.

Thanks so much!

Hi! I'm from the Hudson Valley! I lost a large number of chickens last summer to a coyote and I'm looking to restock this spring. I'm looking for hatchery recommendations that do a good job delivering to NY.

Thanks so much!
Welcome ! I dont buy chicks from hatcheries ..I usually buy them from chicken stock if im interested in some ..Its a buy / sell party we have in the spring

Back
Top Bottom