NY chicken lover!!!!

Snow all gone here, but my runs are covered, though the plastic has been ripped some by the winds. Oh lord it just tore things up. Had to buy a new tarp for a half hoop and do a quick fix. Chickens are gone now and just sold two more hens today and got rid of two roosters. Lavender Amer, but green egg layers. I try to get folks to take the roosters though some ask "can I just buy the hens?" Now what would I do with the roosters if I sold only the hens?
Still have about 12-13 hens and three roosters. One hen is fighting to sit on eggs. Ugh! I don't have time for nor want chicks.
Anyhow cleaned out one coop and have another to clean. Well that has chickens. The empty ones can wait.
Had Window World come and do the windows in November. They did a nice job for the money. House was much warmer and easy to open today. The fresh air smells nice. Window World is coming tues. to talk about doors. Hope it's just as affordable and nice as the windows were.
TTFN,

If you were closer I would take some hens and a couple roosters off your hands but this time of year is so stupid busy.

Snow is pretty much gone here too, just the places where we had big snow banks. I got out and cleaned out the coop, few more weeks and I’ll take down the plastic, remove heated water bowl and get the air compressor hose in there to blow the dust out. I’ve been putting the roosters outside to free range to give the hens some peace. I’ve put ads up for pairs and trios but get replies for just the hens but nope not reducing my hens without reducing some roosters too. My little guy cocopuff decided to check out the rooftop view, I’ve only had Silkies till recently so this flying chickens is all new to me. He is supposed to be a serama but I have my suspicions he is a small oegb the more I’m learning about seramas, but he is pretty and friendly so that’s what matters.
3C90406C-EC7B-4267-949A-CB3EDAB9D8D7.jpeg
4B13F064-A630-44C4-830E-F979BBCF260C.jpeg
87891349-9EBF-4C34-8A49-53B1E1BEB548.jpeg

Snow is pretty much gone here too, just the places where we had big snow banks. I got out and cleaned out the coop, few more weeks and I’ll take down the plastic, remove heated water bowl and get the air compressor hose in there to blow the dust out. I’ve been putting the roosters outside to free range to give the hens some peace. I’ve put ads up for pairs and trios but get replies for just the hens but nope not reducing my hens without reducing some roosters too. My little guy cocopuff decided to check out the rooftop view, I’ve only had Silkies till recently so this flying chickens is all new to me. He is supposed to be a serama but I have my suspicions he is a small oegb the more I’m learning about seramas, but he is pretty and friendly so that’s what matters. View attachment 1729912View attachment 1729913 View attachment 1729914

Your suspicions are correct. He is an OEGB but very pretty boy.

Ya, I figured but at least he’s being taken care of better now. He came to me pretty rough with frostbite comb and some toes, worms-I found when I had him in quarantine. He’s starting to put on weight now. I’ll have to keep looking for a serama rooster to go with my serama girls.

Lol see I had the opposite happen. I ended up with a lavender OEGB hen that was suppose to be a blue serama. She too was in awful shape with missing toes from frostbite and scaly leg mites. Because she has mangled feet, I can’t sell her and I worry rehoming might get her back in trouble again so she stays here with my only silkie roo I have left, whom had a stroke and walks in circles, lol. Oh and they stay with my two blind ducks. I have a coop of mifits. If the perfect home came along I would send her on her way but it would have to be damn perfect.

Ya I was a little freaked out at first because I never dealt with frostbite before, I was told it was just a little bit when I got him settled and looked at it closer it was most of his comb. Then he kept getting in the nest box with the broody chocolate hen which was fine till the eggs started hatching and she beat the snot out of him. Scared me again because I wasn’t sure if it was the frostbite got worse but then researching I found he was beat up.
D81BA917-64D7-4F10-BB9E-75B25F5987FB.jpeg

He came in the house till I got him cleared up. He’s fine now his comb is dubbed but no permanent issues. It’s funny I brought her and the Silkie chick in the house because it was so cold and they were in cages side by side now they are bonded and once put back in the coop he helped her brood the chick.

Well now I'm leaving for TX thursday but my dd will be staying here. So I'll have chickens a bit longer I guess. In case anyone cares to take some.

Funny coop has a window or two out but under the roof of the run and no frost bite that I noticed. Coops that are damp tend to have more problems. With cooties and frost bite. Dry and cold is better. There is a book called "open coops" and it's good to get tips from or follow the examples. Folks worry to much about the cold. Even Frenchy survived the winter.

I still swear by DE for mite proofing. It's cheaper at TSC and I use a lot of it. Or did. Will still dust after birds are gone. Who knows new owners my get chickens.

Snow all gone here, but my runs are covered, though the plastic has been ripped some by the winds. Oh lord it just tore things up. Had to buy a new tarp for a half hoop and do a quick fix. Chickens are gone now and just sold two more hens today and got rid of two roosters. Lavender Amer, but green egg layers. I try to get folks to take the roosters though some ask "can I just buy the hens?" Now what would I do with the roosters if I sold only the hens?
Still have about 12-13 hens and three roosters. One hen is fighting to sit on eggs. Ugh! I don't have time for nor want chicks.
Anyhow cleaned out one coop and have another to clean. Well that has chickens. The empty ones can wait.
Had Window World come and do the windows in November. They did a nice job for the money. House was much warmer and easy to open today. The fresh air smells nice. Window World is coming tues. to talk about doors. Hope it's just as affordable and nice as the windows were.
TTFN,
I'm hosting Chickenstock this year. If someone is interested in your remaining chickens I can keep them here and they can pick them up when they come for the picnic.

We enjoyed the warmer temperatures and spending time with the chickens. It’s so much easier to spend an extended period of time out there rather than just quick check that everyone is well, collecting egg and filling feeders while freezing your butt off. I feel guilty in the winter that they don’t get as much hands on time.
My crazy chicken lady in training, she loves to help with the chickens.
E7BF3A9C-49B9-4292-9D44-38BCBD1CCEA4.jpeg
B48829AD-920D-44AE-A880-13B87D19D783.jpeg
C86EE2E9-562C-4716-82EC-EF50CCE687B4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom