NY chicken lover!!!!

Okay Horse and Cass--I will definately let you know when they crow. They were hatched from eggs from simplysplendidsilkies and her birds are just gorgeous and the breeding shows. They would definately be a beautiful addition to yours.

You guys are funny about roosting! I have a baby roost in the coop for mine and they do like to step up onto it and roost. They definately dont see as well because of their poof. Might have to trim around the eyes a bit so they can see to go up the ramp! I wish they would learn to do that cause its getting really old showing them every night!

The ones in the brooder are a porcelain, lav/partridge split and black. Should be interesting to see the coloring when they get around two months old. I will let everyone know if there are boys available from these ones as well. I got them for pets but am thinking of breeding my blue girls with my black silky. Cant breed them to one of my blue boys as they are brother and sister. However, that is quite a ways away yet. If my porcelain turns out to be a pullet, what is the ideal color to breed her with? I like her coloring.

My layers are not impressed with my silkies. They come by to have a look see, give them the stink eye and go about their business. Too funny to watch my almost 4 month old silky boy Mumbles stand up all straight and try to be roostery! I told him those girls would beat him up just for fun and not to get any ideas.

Stay cool everyone!

Quote:
Actually, you can.
smile.png
It's pretty normal to do this. You'll need to add another bloodline in a few years, but in & line breeding is very common in poultry. For example: You have a lavender roo & a black hen & breed them to make splits. You want to keep the attributes of the black line, but get the lavender to express, so you breed the F1 siblings together. Your blues may or may not be siblings, depending on how many roosters & hens the breeder keeps. Or they may be half siblings, from the same roo, but a different hen. Really hard to tell with chickens.

Thanks tgrlily! I did not know that! Something to ponder as they grow. I am learning as I go and silkies are new to me. I love their personalities and that they like to cuddle and be petted. My layers are not into being petted unless I have the coffee can of goodies in my hand! Hot out again today so they will get hosed down again in a bit. Silkies seem to be doing okay with the heat but they are also under some pines and so are shaded all day. Hope all of yours are doing well with this heat!

So is it normal for a 10wk old (now I know he's a roo) to mount a 7wk old? One of my blue/black splash orpington's was on top of a silkie the other day and the next day he crowed... darn I was really hoping he was a she...

I have some blrws hatching today, and they will be available for sale. I will be going to the Syracuse show on Sunday, and could bring them there.

$7 each. I don't know how many I will have as they are still hatching. Im guessing 7-10 chicks.

Sue

Quote:
Well, it sounds like your blues are from a really good line. :0 I'm not sure about your black. So just choose your best to breed together.... that's what I do anyway.

I love the silkies too. I have some young ones from my stock & HatTrick that already show some amazing potential! Unfortunately, the lavender who was supposed to be porcelain
hmm.png
is not pretty. That was one expensive mistake. I'm not crazy about the combs on the cuckoos I hatched from shipped eggs, but the blacks that came in the same order are exceptional.
big_smile.png

Our 14 hens and one rooster do not ROOST. They stayed next to each other in a pile this Winter. Now they are piling in
the 3 nesting boxes we have. There is a couple of small boards for them to step on and those that are not in the nesting boxes are on the boards in front of the nesting boxes.

Our new chicks from tigrlily and looking GREAT.

Last edited:
Everyone handling this heat ok? My birds appear to be fine after I came back from work. Less panting today but I gave them their watermelon and some frozen coconut milk yogurt. One more day and then supposedly cooler weather, right? right?
smile.png

My broodies are both turning out to be excellent moms - broody #1 (4 chicks, easter egger x, she hatched) is doing well, and my broody #2 (9 chicks, BO, brinsea hatched and stuffed under her early) already has her chicks out and running over the lawn at just two days. They are adorable!

I'll be putting most of these (coop is at capacity) up on CL when they are 'weaned' a bit more, so if anyone needs buff orp chicks or easter egger mix chicks (hatched out of green eggs, three blue and one brownie), please let me know. I'll probably keep a BO or two, since I don't have any. Also will have two turken cockerels and a barred something cockerel that will be up on CL or free to BYC folks. If CL doesn't work, I'll try schuylerville auction.

Speaking of roosting, My babies (8+ weeks old) are now roosting on the ladder coop we made them and they have a rudimentary run off my horse shed coop plus a pop door ready to be fitted with an add-a-motor since DH was kind enough to run electric to the coop. I have a light switch, light and two plugs!
smile.png
It's exciting since it's so far from the house.

heat heat go away!

Back
Top Bottom